Over or under?

Thread: Over or under?

Question Over or under?

I just purchased my first 1911 and I am having a hard time deciding weather I should put my RT. thumb, (I am right handed) above or below the rear safety lever. I was trying to draw and disengage the safety on the way out of the holster and that didn't feel like I had control of the weapon. So now I am taking the safety off after I place my left hand on my grip. That being said, after the safety is disenguaged should my RT thumb rest on the safety or go below it? It seems like the recoil will possibly reset the safety if the thumb is under it and not on top...Any advice, including on the draw would be appreciated. Up until now, except for my .22 all of my guns are glocks.

I wait until I clear my holster and then start flipping the safety. Depending on how stiff ur safety is and what is comfortable for u is where I would put my thumb to rest. I shoot a para p14-45 double stack 1911. I have an ambidextrous safety on it and I rest mine under so I can flip it quickly if needed

Thanks John, I will give that a try...Much appreciated,my safety is very easy to move however it has a long "finger" for lack of a better word that sticks forward about .5 inches off the front that makes it easy to move. I have seen some with just a little nub for your finger to catch, I almost think I might like one like that better. Maybe i'll see if there is a drop in one I could try that would require no mods.

Renbots Guest

Over vs. Under

Please watch this video.

I disengage my ambidextrous safety on the left side on my 1911 using my right thumb as the gun clears the holster. My right thumb stays on top of the safety while I'm in my shooting stance. I do this so that in the event I need my other hand to push back from an attack or interact with something in the environment my manipulation of the gun isn't reliant on my other hand.

Renbots Guest
    Please watch this video.

8. The motion of drawing and releasing the thumb safety should be practiced until it is one fluid motion. Practice, and more practice. I recommend not carrying a 1911 until a reasonable degree of comfort with this maneuver is achieved.

I like my thumb on the safety when firing. Better control. Faster target re-aquisition. Feels weird at first. A few trips to the range and it's second nature. I can't imagine shooting any other way.

Good luck.

Nice forum by the way. Been following on twitter fir a while and now here I am.

I'm too_pure on twitter by the way.

Ride the safety

I was always taught, that when shooting a 1911 or any pistol with a thumb safety, that your thumb should ride the safty. This way you do not inadvertently put it on safe during recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmswhlr:206013
    I was always taught, that when shooting a 1911 or any pistol with a thumb safety, that your thumb should ride the safty. This way you do not inadvertently put it on safe during recoil.
    +1 same here. For me, also aids stability in single handed firing.

Thanks for the info. I was leaving my thumb on the safety, it just felt a little strange because it was higher than usual for me. My EDC is a GLOCK 36, and prior to that was a G19. I have only had the 1911 to the range twice. I am still getting used to it, I won't carry it until it is second nature. It handles much differently than a GLOCK!