It's all about Combat, not firearms!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's all about Combat, not firearms!

1. It's all about Combat, not firearms!

Here's a hint for you that you that almost no shooting instructors know, or will tell you!

When you have learned your marksmanship, concentrate on these targets in the attacker body!

http://www.karate-shotokan-kata.com/...re-points.html

Just shoot the attacker in the kneecaps to totally disable him if you know nothing else.

Remember, the fact that the attacker is close to you gives you the advantage, if he is unaware that you are armed.

It's all about combat, and the handgun is just another tool in the arsenal

Baseball Bats, Tire Irons, and knives have all been used very effectively over the years.

A well placed rock will also stop the attacker.

Ramming a stick through the attacker's eye works every time.

Would you listen to someone arguing about the best wood the stick should be made of for maxium stopping effect?

Weapons material is everywhere.

We are talking about self defense here, not starting an assault on another!

CENTER MASS!!
    CENTER MASS!!
    CENTER MASS!!

And in case I wasn't clear - CENTER MASS!!

In a real life self-defense situation, your average defensive shooter DOES NOT HAVE TIME OR CONCENTRATION ENOUGH to select, aim at, and hit one of these critical points.

It's one thing to have pinpoint accuracy when you're shooting at paper. It's another thing entirely to engage a living, moving, attacking target. KEEP IT SIMPLE. AIM FOR CENTER OF MASS. SHOOT UNTIL THE THREAT IS STOPPED.

Telling people to "aim for one of these 10+ critical points" is irresponsible instructing.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

If I have to kick, punch, or otherwise strike, you can be sure it will be one of the optimal and terribly sensitive parts of the body. And should I have the time, I would love nothing more than to put a bullet in a tender part of someone's non-vital anatomy, if for no other reason than to stop and savor the look on his face. However, I have a feeling that most self-defense situations that would involve me firing my weapon will not involve me having the time or foresight to carefully aim.

5. When something happens in close quarters you are not going to have time to aim precisely for certain body parts.
    You aim for center mass! Not the knees, not the hand, not the head. Center Mass!

In very close quarters you will most likely have to start shooting just as you pull your pistol and get it level. You may not even be able to aim for center mass in a situation like this.

Check this vid out and tell me if you would have time to aim for specific body parts.

@ONLYPHILL

I really do not know where you are getting your info. Or what experience or training you have Phill, but you sure are dangerous with the info you are providing.

In a critical situation you really do not have any time to aim at your attacker(s).

1.- Your first instinct during an attack is to bring you hands up in a protective/defensive stand.
    2.- Second would be to get a grip on your handgun.(this is not including moving garments to get to it).
    3.- Point the firearm at the threat.

You are not shooting at paper Phil. You are pointing a firearm under high stress and making a decisions in less then a second. And not including the amount of training the individual has.

are you serious? really? Your an instructor, would you really provide that information to your students?

wow.

using your gun is the last option, most people have no combative training. But in a time of need like everyone else knows you will do anything to protect yourself.

SO:
    1.- Aim CENTER MASS. if you have a chance to unolster you firearm
    2.- Fight your way to create distance between you and you attacker if you need to.
    3.- Train as realistically possible all the time.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO AIM.

7. center mass is the target, spine, Heart, lungs,

I Agree!

With fine motor skills gone and your brain in neanderthal mode (thank you epinephrine), it'll be all you can do to hit your assailant center-mass (or pelvic triangle) with a shot (or more likely many shots) that will incapacitate. Worrying about "just winging" them or knee-capping them is more likely to get you seriously wounded or worse.

That is where shooting from retention come's into play! Everyone should shoot IDPA and USPSA for there own protection!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray2100 View Post
    @ONLYPHILL

I really do not know where you are getting your info. Or what experience or training you have Phill, but you sure are dangerous with the info you are providing.

In a critical situation you really do not have any time to aim at your attacker(s).

1.- Your first instinct during an attack is to bring you hands up in a protective/defensive stand.
    2.- Second would be to get a grip on your handgun.(this is not including moving garments to get to it).
    3.- Point the firearm at the threat.

You are not shooting at paper Phil. You are pointing a firearm under high stress and making a decisions in less then a second. And not including the amount of training the individual has.

are you serious? really? Your an instructor, would you really provide that information to your students?

wow.

using your gun is the last option, most people have no combative training. But in a time of need like everyone else knows you will do anything to protect yourself.

SO:
    1.- Aim CENTER MASS. if you have a chance to unolster you firearm
    2.- Fight your way to create distance between you and you attacker if you need to.
    3.- Train as realistically possible all the time.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO AIM.
    That's basically what I said to him. And his nickname is ONLYPILL - as in pill - something hard to swallow. NOT PHIL. I'M PHIL. :)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I'll go out on a limb here and questions your rationale ONLYPILL. I'll go out even further and question your credibility of being a 'firearms instructor' in recommending picking an extremely small target on a person with a shoot to wound to stop mentality. If your recommendations are nothing more than to illicit opinionated discussion, you have done due diligence. However; if you truly believe and teach your recommendations to students, you better have some really good personal liability insurance...cause sued ex-students and wounded assailants will be knocking on your door!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast