Malfunction Drills - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: Malfunction Drills

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Genasi View Post
    Since I carry a revolver my malfunction drill consists only of pulling the trigger again.
    what happens when you get an extended primer and it locks your cylinder?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  2.   
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    what happens when you get an extended primer and it locks your cylinder?
    Run.

    Cylinder lock requires tools.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    what happens when you get an extended primer and it locks your cylinder?
    Is that a common occurrence? I've never had that happen.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    Is that a common occurrence? I've never had that happen.
    Not really but it does happen and when it does it stops you cold. Revolvers DO malfunction and you've got it in your head that they don't when it happens you are going to freeze
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Genasi View Post
    Since I carry a revolver my malfunction drill consists only of pulling the trigger again.
    Until cylinder lock up, then your malfunction drill consists of throwing that piece of useless metal at the attacker and run.


  7. #36
    I first noticed with my S&W Model 629 in 357 that revolvers do require tune ups in order to function properly.

    So like a car it should go back to the shop annually for servicing.

    A revolver is not like a 1911A1 which is essentially indestructible.

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Until cylinder lock up, then your malfunction drill consists of throwing that piece of useless metal at the attacker and run.

    That's what I already said just a few posts ago. Pay attention much?

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Not really but it does happen and when it does it stops you cold. Revolvers DO malfunction and you've got it in your head that they don't when it happens you are going to freeze
    Point being revolvers are more resistant to having any malfunction at all.

    --There's no magazien to fail, which is an auto's most likely cause.
    --Revolvers can't be pressed out-of-battery in a fight.
    --Revolvers can't fail to feed, because they don't feed.
    --Revolvers can't fail to chamber, because revolvers don't have chambers.
    --Revolvers can't fail to extract, because they don't extract.

    Bad amunition, or catastrophic failure, both easily avoided; that's what it takes to stop a revolver.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Genasi View Post
    Point being revolvers are more resistant to having any malfunction at all.

    --There's no magazien to fail, which is an auto's most likely cause.
    --Revolvers can't be pressed out-of-battery in a fight.
    --Revolvers can't fail to feed, because they don't feed.
    --Revolvers can't fail to chamber, because revolvers don't have chambers.
    --Revolvers can't fail to extract, because they don't extract.

    Bad amunition, or catastrophic failure, both easily avoided; that's what it takes to stop a revolver.
    Revolvers have just different malfunctions than semi-autos, because they have a different design. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Revolver malfunctions during a gun fight are catastrophic, semi-auto malfunctions during a gun fight are fixable.

    As for your out-of-battery statement, if you would have taken a training class you would know how to avoid that.

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by stngray713 View Post
    Hey folks, I have been visiting this site frequently but just decided to jump in to the discussion. I have been wanting to incorporate malfunction drills into my training. What I am wondering is could I cause any damage to my firearm buy loading expended brass into my magazines? It seems like it should be fine but every time I think about the sharp edge of the brass jamming into the chamber I cringe a little. I know I could use snap caps for this but they aren't cheap and I worry I will lose them in the dirt or across the firing line at the range as I plan to try and clear the malfunction quickly without losing sight of the target. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    This O/P was on the forum for about a year and has not been back since 2012.

    I thought this thread, which is really old by now, was going to be about failure drills:

    1 - tap and rack;

    2 - if that does not work then eject the mag and clear;

    3 - if that does not also work then you have a broken extractor and now would be a good time to have a backup pistol, which is about the only thing that mouse guns are good for.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast