Malfunction Drills
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malfunction Drills

Malfunction Drills

Hey folks, I have been visiting this site frequently but just decided to jump in to the discussion. I have been wanting to incorporate malfunction drills into my training. What I am wondering is could I cause any damage to my firearm buy loading expended brass into my magazines? It seems like it should be fine but every time I think about the sharp edge of the brass jamming into the chamber I cringe a little. I know I could use snap caps for this but they aren't cheap and I worry I will lose them in the dirt or across the firing line at the range as I plan to try and clear the malfunction quickly without losing sight of the target. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

3. I take empty brass and reloaded them with just the bullet, no primer or powder. Its alot cheaper then snap caps. Just make sure you keep them separate from live ammo, I have a .40 caliber hole in my living room wall thanks to my cousin mixing his magazines up as a constant reminder to always check and double check.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. You'll rue the day you mixed up the dummy ammo with the real thing and I can almost guarantee that it will eventually happen. Take a handgun course at Front Sight and you'll learn how to dry practice the safe way, and no, I'm not associated with them other than being a member.
    NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

Don't be a cheapskate. BUY THE SNAP CAPS. Source them on the internet, they aren't THAT expensive, and they're a one-time purchase.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

It shouldn't cause any damage to your gun. Brass is softer then the gunsteel the barrel is made of. But just buy the snap caps. It is better in the end. You won't loose them, there are some that are made of blaze orange polymer. I think they are made by a-zoom?.

Exclamation Is it worth it?

You could load an orange plastic bullet into regular brass or paint the empty rounds orange if you are trying not to buy Snap Caps, but we're talking about an expense of $9.99 per pack of 5 from MidwayUSA and shipping of $4 for one. They happen to be on sale until the end of Oct. 2011. It might just be worth it to save shipping and pick up two or three, or ask some buddies if they need some and combine shipping!
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Get the snap caps/dummy ammo... Keep track of it and make sure it is removed from magazines once dry fire/malfunction drills have been completed... The Front Sight 4 Day Defensive Handgun Course is a right of passage for carry permit holders, I recommend it... Going back down again in the spring for the skills builder, then it's tactical rifle time Oh Yea!!!
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 84B20:233862
    This is a disaster waiting to happen. You'll rue the day you mixed up the dummy ammo with the real thing and I can almost guarantee that it will eventually happen. Take a handgun course at Front Sight and you'll learn how to dry practice the safe way, and no, I'm not associated with them other than being a member.
    I second this reply. Front sight will teach you how to practice the malfunction drills safety with live ammo, snap caps, or dry. Yes, dry. Feeding empty shells through your gun is bad practice. Expended shells have expanded, and are much too short and Sharp-edged to feed reliably, and may over time cause excess wear or other damage to your gun.

Hint: The price of your gun isn't the only factor to consider when buying. You must also commit to paying for quality accessories and training upkeep. This includes snap caps for malfunction drills, and plenty of spare mags (they WILL wear out over time if you're training correctly.)

Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy4175:233743
    I take empty brass and reloaded them with just the bullet, no primer or powder. Its alot cheaper then snap caps. Just make sure you keep them separate from live ammo, I have a .40 caliber hole in my living room wall thanks to my cousin mixing his magazines up as a constant reminder to always check and double check.
    I agree snap caps are expensive, but I also think they are a worthy purchase as well. If you absolutely can't afford them, then this does seem cheaper if you have the equipment...I would make en effort to really make them stand out by painting them orange as well...if you leave some behind oh well.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast