Psa - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psa

1. I am advocating practice and the mindset to take out a threat with the least amount of rounds. At least In this scenario.
    What is the difference between the battlefield and an armed intruder in your home
    How many hunters shoot a Bear with more than one round especially a bow? (same mind set)
    I practice thinking the next round is the last
    MY classroom
    Desert Storm and 8yrs Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
    How many hunters shoot a Bear with more than one round especially a bow?
    Probably a lot more than you might think. When I stop a threat, I want to make sure that threat is incapacitated, and not "playing possum" or just superficially injured and still a threat. I go into this trusting my skills and my firearm, but I also go in with the understanding that a handgun is not an efficient tool for stopping another man, and if that's all I have to work with, then I need to make sure it does the job.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
    I am advocating practice and the mindset to take out a threat with the least amount of rounds. At least In this scenario.
    What is the difference between the battlefield and an armed intruder in your home
    How many hunters shoot a Bear with more than one round especially a bow? (same mind set)
    I practice thinking the next round is the last
    MY classroom
    Desert Storm and 8yrs Infantry
    Your first sentence I agree with. One should try to stop the threat with the least number of rounds. Good training will most likely reduce the rounds necessary for a good stop. I've hunted for quite some time now, and I have to say not all my take downs have been with one shot. That's what I train to do, but it doesn't always happen. This is why a lot of rifles have the capacity for more than one round to be loaded at a time.

But your analogy of hunting versus defending yourself with a rifle made me think this:
    Maybe I should start carrying my AR concealed with a bipod and expensive sights. Should I bring equipment to test wind speed and take into account curvature of the Earth too? A hunt in which you stalk your prey and keep hidden from a distance is a far cry from a defensive situation up close and personal.

This may be the ideal situation in which you take down your hunt, with one round. However, the one shot/one kill doesn't always happen even with a long rifle, and certainly doesn't always happen with a handgun. This is why so many handgun training exercises teach two shots center of mass and one ocular cavity. If that still doesn't work, keep shooting until the threat is no longer a threat. The reason why even this method doesn't always work is because as you shoot them, they will most likely move, making that difficult ocular cavity shot, even more difficult.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12