exit wound consideration??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: exit wound consideration??

  1. exit wound consideration??

    this might be entirely wrong place for this. apologies if not.

    (i have yet to get my CHL, im sure this is covered in the course)

    in the process of engaging a BG i am sure you are taught to be aware of whats actually behind said target. (common sense anyways i imagine)
    so as not to injure or jeopardize the live of more innocents...

    but what about the rounds exiting the BG?? how do you know they wont hit somebody, im sure this is something trained to take into consideration right?? granted enough presence of mind in the situation...

    personally i have a glock .40 w/ hollows so i dont think exit wound(s) are much of a issue. i think more for small caliber hand guns correct??

    sorry for such un-educated questions. still new here

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    623
    If I'm forced to shoot to save my life, the exit wound is the last thing on my mind. Besides, a good self-defense hollow point bullet is unlikely to exit. If it does, it likely won't have much velocity left.

    Just my $0.02 worth.
    G'Day and G'lock

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    this might be entirely wrong place for this. apologies if not.

    (i have yet to get my CHL, im sure this is covered in the course)

    in the process of engaging a BG i am sure you are taught to be aware of whats actually behind said target. (common sense anyways i imagine)
    so as not to injure or jeopardize the live of more innocents...

    but what about the rounds exiting the BG?? how do you know they wont hit somebody, im sure this is something trained to take into consideration right?? granted enough presence of mind in the situation...

    personally i have a glock .40 w/ hollows so i dont think exit wound(s) are much of a issue. i think more for small caliber hand guns correct??

    sorry for such un-educated questions. still new here
    It's one of the standard firearm rules: know what's in front and behind of your target.

    Smaller calibers don't always have deeper penetration, it's higher velocity rounds. 5.7 and .25 are smaller calibers than the .40, but the 5.7 will penetrate deeper and the .25 won't.

    If I engage, I will do my best to know what's behind my target, but defending my life is priority.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    If you are using FMJ or FMC rounds in your .40, I would say maybe worry a bit about it, but I seriously doubt that even the crappy PPU brand HPs would exit. Regardless, any randomly occuring variable can cause your round to fail...say deflection off the femur or the upper arm bone which could cause the HP to smush in on one side and give it characteristics much like a FMJ (I had it happen when I hit a coyote in the back of the skull and it ricochetted into the ribcage and shot out other side without causing much more than nasty looking head wound and a 2/5" hole through the top of the ribcage.) Shot placement is key. If you're aiming for center of mass, a couple rounds in the chest will likely stay in the chest, even with a .45.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    It's one of the standard firearm rules: know what's in front and behind of your target.

    Smaller calibers don't always have deeper penetration, it's higher velocity rounds. 5.7 and .25 are smaller calibers than the .40, but the 5.7 will penetrate deeper and the .25 won't.

    If I engage, I will do my best to know what's behind my target, but defending my life is priority.
    Don't forget about not shooting unless you are sure of your shot. Even in deer season when people have private lands all to themselves, most people forget this rule and send bullets flying for miles. Don't just take a shot because you have a target. On your end, the margin of error could be less than a quarter inch, but downrange, that could mean 10-20 feet in the wrong direction.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    If I engage, I will do my best to know what's behind my target, but defending my life is priority.
    Defending my life is second, behind the life of an innocent who's behind the BG. I won't shoot unless clear regardless of cost to myself.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,668
    I would only worry about exit wounds if you're using FMJ ammo. Hollow point ammo will expand, and is less likely to pass through someone who has been hit. If anything, you want to make sure that you're actually able to hit what you're shooting at more so than whether or not there's an exit wound.

    Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 4
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Creswell, Oregon
    Posts
    3,865
    Four basic rules to live by:
    1. All guns are loaded until you personally clear them.
    2. Never point you gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
    3. Don't put your finger on the trigger until your ready to destroy said target.
    4. Know your target and what's beyond it.
    As has been said, using hollow points lessens the chances of exit wounds.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Don't forget about not shooting unless you are sure of your shot. Even in deer season when people have private lands all to themselves, most people forget this rule and send bullets flying for miles. Don't just take a shot because you have a target. On your end, the margin of error could be less than a quarter inch, but downrange, that could mean 10-20 feet in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Defending my life is second, behind the life of an innocent who's behind the BG. I won't shoot unless clear regardless of cost to myself.
    Good on you guys for carrying about others more than I. My family's life is first, then mine, then everyone else.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. #10
    All the training I've had emphasized making sure of what is BEHIND my intended target. I'll take the moment to step to one side as needed. That said, I agree that hollow points are not USUALLY going to cause much of a problem.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast