You don't need Firearms Training-Do you?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You don't need Firearms Training-Do you?

You don't need Firearms Training-Do you?

The author recommends every firearm owner to take a class at Gunsite.

Who do you know that has an extra several thousand dollars lying around? $1600 for the course. One will need over a thousand rounds (there's another few hundred dollars). One will need lodging accommodations for at least five days unless they already live in AZ. How about the cost of airfare to get there?

Seriously?

Yes, training is important to those that wish to handle a gun responsibly, but to recommend it should be with Gunsite? This guy sounds like he works for them. Save your money and find a good, reputable instructor in your neck of the woods. Many NRA certified instructors give solid quality classes from beginner to advanced.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Yeah, this is like that site Eidolon or apvbguy posted about that said if you didn't take their training you were more dangerous to yourself and society and should just disarm yourself.
    Chief

5. That article sounds like an advertisement. Even with the best training in the world, it won't do you any good if you don't practice, practice, practice. I took an advanced course that cost me $160 +500 rounds of ammo. It was local, and well worth it. Geez, I thought the $160 course, and $150 for the ammo was a lot of money!

I don’t see anything unethical about Gunsite promoting their training classes, they are in business to make a profit. Can you get training just as good at home? That’s your decision , get the amount of training you think your life is worth .
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Yeah, this is like that site Eidolon or apvbguy posted about that said if you didn't take their training you were more dangerous to yourself and society and should just disarm yourself.
    Was it Josef Gobbles or Saul Alinsky that said if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Yes, training is important to those that wish to handle a gun responsibly, but to recommend it should be with Gunsite? This guy sounds like he works for them. Save your money and find a good, reputable instructor in your neck of the woods. Many NRA certified instructors give solid quality classes from beginner to advanced.
    No kidding. If nothing else, I wish he had said whether he worked for them or not. If it's someone unaffiliated, I'd value his advice a bit more... Not that I can afford it either way. If he does work for them... it might not be unethical, but it's kind of underhanded not to identify that right away.

Plus, some local instructors are willing to work with you if you're in a tough spot financially. One near here arranged for me to be able to take the Cornered Cat 2-day defensive handgun class, and I will be forever grateful. At some point, I am determined to get through all the range classes they offer, and some of the others... it'll just take a while. :)
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Having had training both professionally and in the military I can say ANY education you receive is education you may need. The extent of your education is only limited by your limits you hold, ie......AS, BS degree or post grad work. Totally up to you.
    -
    I would always recommend education verses stupidity. BUT keep in mind, a lot of courses and people on this site believe that training as a para-military commando is where you need to be. I, on the other hand, know that being a armed civilian limits me to ONLY defense engagements. I train and educate myself and wife on multiple engagements on a civilian side. NOT a aggressive LEO side as some spew on this site. (That's right, spew. You know it and will respond as know all see all) Believe me I'm NOT saying don't train to tactics. What I am saying is aggressive engagement per training that is documented could be held against you in a court of law.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I don’t think anyone on this site is suggesting that your normal everyday carrier needs to be trained to the level of a PMC (Private Military Contractor not Para Military Commando). I think what is being said is get the amount of training you think your life is worth.

I would recommend at least going through some level of FoF where you aren’t in control of the training to everyone. I understand that not everyone can afford but I get the impression that some here refuse to acknowledge that it’s a weak spot in your armor.

I’ve said before that experience is the best teacher but never forget she is a brutal one.
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    What I am saying is aggressive engagement per training that is documented could be held against you in a court of law.
    Can you provide some case law documentation please?
    Barrett Tillman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast