martial artists and firearms
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: martial artists and firearms

Cool martial artists and firearms

has anyone added martial arts to their self defense program, besides me and HK4U?

For many years...

Currently hold a 3 deg in Taekwondo and a 1 deg is Hapkido. But age has a way of sneaking up on you and kicks are not as fast and practice falls come with a LOT of advil.

Cool oh, man...

hoplites, you are not wrong. i haven't been able to get much workout in recently because of work schdules, my autistic son, but as soon as i get over this latest gout attack...... I GOTTA GET AFTER IT!! i have a green belt in ninjutsu as taught by Robert Bussey. and as the years have gone by since i had to stop my direct training with RBWI, i have been able to add elements of JKD, jujitsu,and sambo. i am hoping to get into kenpo, perhaps after the first of the year.

I used to take Aikido a few years ago. Never got to far in it, but I did enjoy the exercise. It was relaxing also.

Thing is, I'll run away from any fight I can... I've got no pride as far as this is concerned. I'm a small guy and no amount of ninja training is gonna turn ishi into Rambo. I did like the way Aikido stresses unbalancing an attacker to create a way to escape.

Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

Martial Arts

I was a green belt in Kenpo Karate, under Ed Perry who separated from Ed Parker years ago. I was just preparing for my brown belt when my family occured... lol. Providing for the family that was growing meant more hours working and caring for the kids, so I had to give it up. I had intended to get back into it, but it never happened. One of the reasons I decided that CCW was a good idea, is cuz I realized age had snuck up on me, kicks weren't as good, and I can't even run away very fast anymore!:D So, as age and gravity catch up, the need for a weapon became evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplites1234 View Post
    . But age has a way of sneaking up on you and kicks are not as fast and practice falls come with a LOT of advil.
    There is obviously a lot of flop over from other gun forums as this question was asked in another one.

+ 1 with Hoplites.

I was a Green belt in Shorei/Goju Karate and brown in Aikido. Now I have been defeated by a Black belt in Screwed up Spine and a Brown belt in anerism. It's not even gun or run. With my spine I can't run. I guess you all can figure out what's left. :D
    Last edited by Puppy; 10-20-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Cool sorry....

i never really participated in a forum like this before. at least not as good!

Jc40

Before i moved to florida,eleven years ago,i had the priveledge of studying with a personal friend who was highly trained in several forms of martial arts and it was free,twice a week.He taught me Jeet Kune Do,Wing Chun Kung FU and Escrima.It was always a good time training because he made it fun and intresting so you wanted to come back and learn.Here in florida,i was taking Isshinryu karate and got to the level of blue belt before my three bad discks showed themselves and kind of put that on the back burner for a while.My next venture will be Akido.

Quote Originally Posted by JC40 View Post
    Before i moved to florida,eleven years ago,i had the priveledge of studying with a personal friend who was highly trained in several forms of martial arts and it was free,twice a week.He taught me Jeet Kune Do,Wing Chun Kung FU and Escrima.It was always a good time training because he made it fun and intresting so you wanted to come back and learn.Here in florida,i was taking Isshinryu karate and got to the level of blue belt before my three bad discks showed themselves and kind of put that on the back burner for a while.My next venture will be Akido.
    It was a bad back when ended Karate for me also. Aikido is fun, relaxing, not hard on the body, and can be a very effective defense technique.

I understand there are now several schools of Aikido. The one I studied was the one started by Master Morihei Ueshiba. Histop ranking 1oth Dan student was Koichi Tohei. I once had the pleasure of having him make me look like a fool in person. :D

Jc40

I like akido and have been interested in it for a while now,just have to come up with the time and money to do so.There is a school close to me that is supposed to be a good one,and a friend of a friend has been going there for around 15 years now and speaks very highly of the school.i have even called the school myself to talk to the instructor myself and we ended up chatting for about an hour and he invited me to come in and observe any time i want to check out his school.It`s just finding the time mostly right now as the kids have to come first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast