Back to Basics.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to Basics.

Back to Basics.

So my introductory thread title was, "Bullets go in the general direction of paper."
    That's pretty much how I do it.

Clip my paper plate (cheaper than targets) to the holder, send it out to 7 yards, pop in a magazine, and let the lead fly.

So far, I've been to the range a handfull of times and bought my own gun, a used Ruger P95.

I can get about 66-75% of my bullets to hit the paper plate. Occasionally, a select few will go straight through the quarter sized circle I've drawn in the center. The last time I went to the range, I fired 250 rounds. That's over 50 rounds that didn't even hit the paper plate which is kinda alarming and the main reason I do not carry... Sure I hit the bad guy... and the bystanders... and everything else.

I'm not sure if I just suck and need more practice or what.

Maybe I should look at how I'm shooting to find out what I'm doing wrong.

Is there a website that shows pictures of various stances and grips and such?
    How about what to focus on and how to use your eyes?

Currently, I stand up straight as I can get my back. I'm left handed, so my left foot is usually forward, left knee locked, right knee bent with most of my weight on the left foot.

I usually close my left eye.

I have a hard time focusing on both the front and rear sights and the target itself. I can kinda get both sights in focus, but then the target looks like a double.

I want to prevent bad habits before I get used to them.

wolfhunter Guest
    PM me. I have some short video clips on grip, stance, & sight alignment that may help.

As far as your problem focusing on three things at once is concerned, the solution is simple. Focus on the front sight. The rear sight should be slightly blurred, as should the target.

I would suggest you use a big sheet of paper with a circle drawn on it to use as an aiming point. Then you can see where your misses go and that will give an idea of what is happening to make you miss.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Look no further than youtube. Furthermore, I would also recommend practicing with every holster in which you'll be carrying your gun; accuracy won't mean a hill of beans if you're not able to get your gun out of the holster quickly.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

wolfhunter Guest
    Attachment 267 This should help.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Attachment 267 This should help.
    And to help you out, this works in reverse for left handed shooters; if you can, hold it up to a mirror and reverse all the suggestions. For example, switch C for H, B for I, and so forth.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 12-02-2008 at 01:24 AM.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

wolfhunter Guest
    OOPS, I forgot the OP was left-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    OOPS, I forgot the OP was left-handed.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I have a hard time focusing on both the front and rear sights and the target itself. I can kinda get both sights in focus, but then the target looks like a double.
    It's impossible for your eyes to focus on 3 things at 3 different distances at the same time. Focus on the front sight. The front sight should be crystal clear, the rear sight and the target should be slightly blurry. If a spec of dust lands on the front sight while you're aiming, you should notice it.

I'm also left handed. I use the weaver stance. My feet are bladed 30 degrees from the target and my left foot is to the rear.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

my .02..

let me reccomend Gabe Suarez's COMBATIVE PISTOL MARKSMANSHIP dvd at onesourcetactical.com this dvd has great instruction on grip{ i changed mine and it made a world of diff!** stance has some excellent drills as well. i like to use a modified isoceles stance when i can. the only thing is that bad guys tend to shoot back, so shoot and move.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast