Press Checks are Stupid! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Press Checks are Stupid!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,897
    The handgun I carry is loaded period. I see no value in doing a press check.

    Having said that, James Yeager isnt the guy I'd pick for a spokesmodel. Like it or not his reputation detracts from the message

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Yes, he is, and haters gonna hate, that still doesn't mean he is wrong.
    Well, yes it does. The man should be in prison for making terrorist threats. Using him as your source material casts a shadow on you.

    Press checks are stupid, and so is James Yeager and so is anyone who cites him as an informational source.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBook View Post
    Well, yes it does. The man should be in prison for making terrorist threats. Using him as your source material casts a shadow on you.

    Press checks are stupid, and so is James Yeager and so is anyone who cites him as an informational source.
    LOL. Haters gonna hate, especially the clueless ones. There is something called the 1st Amendment. You might want to read and understand it. The fact is that James Yeager was investigated by DHS and never charged, let alone convicted. He even maintained all of his rights, including his 2nd Amendment right, throughout the investigation. I guess to haters like you that means nothing. Your post casts a shadow on you.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    There is something called the 1st Amendment.
    The first amendment does not extend to threats, and the first amendment does not apply to YouTube anyway as it's private property. The first amendment doesn't apply here, either. You seem fairly ignorant on the Consitution and, sadly, you seem to enjoy your ignorance. But you are right about one thing: haters gonna hate, so I'll leave you to it :)

    Happy press-checking.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBook View Post
    The first amendment does not extend to threats, and the first amendment does not apply to YouTube anyway as it's private property. The first amendment doesn't apply here, either. You seem fairly ignorant on the Consitution and, sadly, you seem to enjoy your ignorance. But you are right about one thing: haters gonna hate, so I'll leave you to it :)
    Wow, for someone who is accusing me of being ignorant of the Constitution, you clearly are. Your statement regarding YouTube is completely misguided. YouTube is a private company and can do with its content what ever it wants. However, this has nothing to do with your accusation of James Yeager making terrorist threats and that you think he should be in prison. The 1st Amendment protected James Yeager from criminal prosecution by the US government. That's why your accusation is baseless. That's why I said you are clueless. That's why haters gonna hate, because they are clueless.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBook View Post
    Happy press-checking.
    Not sure what that comment is about.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Posts
    199
    It seems that there is some misdirection occurring here. I do a press check every time I holster my gun each morning. I do it BEFORE I holster my gun, not AFTER I draw the gun. If I confirm that there is a round chambered BEFORE I holster the gun, and I have not taken my gun out of the holster, then I am certain that there is a round chambered if I need to use the gun.
    I agree that unholstering the gun and THEN doing a press check on the way to the target is silly. You should have confirmed that before the gun goes into the holster.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    3,800
    Seems to me the only time it is necessary to check if a round was chambered is the first time a round is chambered.

    My guns have never ejected chambered rounds all by themselves just because they sat in the bed holster overnight or on my hip/in my pocket during the day so I see no need to constantly check to see if the round I chambered yesterday/day before/last week is still there.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Posts
    199
    Bikenut, when I take off my gun at night, it will be out of my sight for at least some period of time. Showering, walking to the other side of the house, etc. What if for some strange reason my wife handled my gun and unchambered a round? I would holster it the next morning thinking that it had a round chambered, when in fact it did not. A press check takes me about 2 seconds and no real effort to execute to be certain.
    There is a 99.999% chance that this will never happen, but to me, my life is worth eliminating that tiny risk.
    We each decide what our own lives are worth.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by RossA View Post
    Bikenut, when I take off my gun at night, it will be out of my sight for at least some period of time. Showering, walking to the other side of the house, etc. What if for some strange reason my wife handled my gun and unchambered a round? I would holster it the next morning thinking that it had a round chambered, when in fact it did not. A press check takes me about 2 seconds and no real effort to execute to be certain.
    There is a 99.999% chance that this will never happen, but to me, my life is worth eliminating that tiny risk.
    We each decide what our own lives are worth.
    There are 3 adults living in my home and we all have loaded guns either on our persons or at least within easy reach at all times but.........................

    If I thought for one half of one half second that I couldn't trust the other people living in my house not to be messing around with my (or their own!) guns then I would enforce a firm rule that all guns must either be on the person or locked up in the safe.

    Oh... and my gun goes everywhere with me even into the bathroom regardless of if I am going to take a shower or attend to a different need.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

  11. #20
    Oh fun! Is this the new 9mm vs .45 argument? I'll be watching. I'm easily entertained. :)
    NRA Certified instructor: handgun, self defense, CRSO (retired 2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast