Defensive practice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive practice

1. Defensive practice

Due to my old eyes (79) , shakey hands and not so good balance , I have changed my way of defensive practice and no longer use paper targets.

I scatter fired shot shells on the berm and shoot at them at different points from the hip up to chin level at 3-10 yds. from the draw and one hand only .
    I hit a few , move a few , miss a lot but always close enough to defend myself from them.

YES , I do pick them up afterward and save them for the next time.
    I mostly use my G19 and a lot of times with a AA .22 kit on it. The last two times I used it with the .22 kit.
    210 rds. the first trip with Rem. G.B. and had one dud rd. that fired after being turned a little. Plus started a blister on my middle finger.
    Second trip with the kit I fired 210 Mini-Mags and had one failure to feed( nose caught on top of the chamber) and a worse blister. The trips were only a couple days apart.

I have been working on under cutting the trigger guard to cure the blister problem and it has worked until I tried to draw too many times on these two trips.

You might ask why 210 rds. but I have 21 magazines and at 10 rds. ea. that I load the night before my trip.
    Several years ago I found a guy that had a bunch of new ones he wanted to dump and I bought them at a good price. Also in the deal I got 4 mags for a 17 kit and 1 25 rd. mag.
    I only used them enough to know they work and set them aside as I am pretty tired after 210 draws and shoot.

I'm sure that this is just my unfamiliarity with certain terms, so I will ask.
    I'm not sure what "scatter fired" means.
    Also, you say that you fired "shot shells." To me, this sounds like shotgun shells, but you say you shot them out of a Glock, so I'm not sure what this means.
    Thanks in advance for the clarification.

4. Quote Originally Posted by RossA View Post
    I'm sure that this is just my unfamiliarity with certain terms, so I will ask.
    I'm not sure what "scatter fired" means.

Also, you say that you fired "shot shells." To me, this sounds like shotgun shells, but you say you shot them out of a Glock, so I'm not sure what this means.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Scatter = Throw FIRED SHOTGUN SHELLS on the berm at different levels and distance

Shoot at the shells WITH a Glock

I have posted this on 5-6 different forums and everyone else has understood what I was doing.

Pardon me for asking. You may be assured that I won't trouble you again.

6. Sorry , no intent to put you down but you are the only one so far on several forums who didn't understand what I posted.
    If I did not come across clear to you ,I am sorry and ask forgiveness .

No problem, buddy.

Doesn't really sound like you're accomplishing anything but wasting ammunition
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

9. Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Doesn't really sound like you're accomplishing anything but wasting ammunition
    What do you suggest ??

Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    What do you suggest ??
    Really, based on what you've said the only thing I'd change is this shooting from the hip crap. You are responsible for every round that comes out of your gun. You need to work on aiming each round
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

11. Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Really, based on what you've said the only thing I'd change is this shooting from the hip crap. You are responsible for every round that comes out of your gun. You need to work on aiming each round
    Every round I fire when doing this hits the berm and most either hits the shot shell or makes it move
    The only hip shots I fire is at close range and no more than 3-4 yds. Most shots are at 1/2 hip , 3/4 hip and chin level, depending on distance . Kinda hard to aim at these points when firing.

If over 12 yds. I do use eye level shooting but MOSTLY target focus or flash front sight. That is why I have my front sights painted white . I only practice defensive shooting and had rather have these skills and never have to use them than need them and not have them.

As far as wasting ammo , I have more than enough to last me the few years I have left on this earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast