Should lasers belong on your edc gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should lasers belong on your edc gun

1. Should lasers belong on your edc gun

Should I put a crimson trace on my ccw ?

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry mobile app

No! The only exception is if your eyesight is so bad that you can't see the sights anymore.

For an earlier thread:

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Lasers Aid in Low-Light Conditions: So do night sights. If it is too dark for night sights, you would need a light for proper target identification anyway.

Lasers Allow You To Shoot From A Variety of Positions: Absolutely. Lasers allow you to shoot from positions where it is difficult to line up the sights. Most people that have a laser on their handgun never trained or practiced shooting from such positions (and likely never will).

Lasers Allow You To Remain Target-Focused: The biggest problem with lasers is that they make you focus on the target. If you draw your weapon, what are you going to focus on first? The front sight for lining up the sights or the target for finding the laser dot? Are you even going to move the gun to a position for a sight picture or are you simply just point shooting using the laser as an aid (which is a training scar)?

Today’s Lasers Are Lighter, Tougher and More Reliable than Ever: Right, but night sights are even lighter, tougher, and more reliable. Going back to the training scar I mentioned, if the laser fails and you have not lined up your sights, you are in trouble. Note that the laser can and often does fail while shooting.

Lasers Help Overcome Situational Stress: Absolute nonsense. The more bells and whistles a firearm has, the more complex it is to use properly. Complexity creates stress, simplicity helps overcoming it. Training is the key to overcome stress and not additional equipment you need to think of when defending your life.

A laser can function as an aid, but requires proper training to avoid training scars and to use it efficiently. For new shooters, avoid lasers as they will reduce your skill level. Spend the money on some ammo and a training class instead.

The comparison between lasers on handguns for self defense and scopes on hunting rifles is just wrong at so many levels. A correct comparison would be to a red dot sight or an ACOG on a self defense rifle. Red dots can and do fail, which is why we train and practice with iron sights. There are specific training exercises that deal with red dot and ACOG failures in different scenarios.

A laser sight can be a great tool, as long as you understand its limitations and do not rely on it 100%

Being a battery powered device, it could fail at the wrong time. In a case like that, you still need to be able to use your handgun. Make sure that you train with iron sights as well.

As already mentioned, you will probably never have to use your gun from an unconventional position that would prohibit the use of your sights, however, you also probably not need your spare tire or the fire extinguisher in your kitchen, does that mean that you should get rid of them?

As already mentioned, lasers allow you to remain target focused. Whether that is a good or bad thing is very subjective and I think it depends on the person. If you are so target focused that you can not properly line up your gun with the target, then it is a bad thing. However, using it as a targeting aid once you have gotten your gun lined up on the target can be a good thing and can help in making a difficult shot in a high stress situation.

As already mentioned, laser sights are reliable but iron sights are still more reliable than laser sights. Well, my feet are more reliable than my truck and the store is only a couple of blocks down the road, but I still take me truck to get groceries. It makes the job more efficient, just like having a laser sight can make your shooting more efficient.

As already said, it is absolute nonsense that lasers will help overcome situational stress - well, on this one, I agree. Nothing will help overcome the situational stress that you find yourself in, however, some tools can help you overcome the drop in performance that generally accompanies that situational stress. A laser sight may, or may not be one of those tools that work for you.

I had a CT Laser Grip on my 1911 for several years and it was a tremendous help when it came to quick accurate shots. it was much quicker and more accurate than iron sights, especially as I got older. However, you will notice that I said that I "had" them on my 1911. They are no-longer on my 1911 simply because I found it very difficult to clean the lens because if how small it was. Unless you have the small foam tipped piece that they give you, it is about impossible to get into the lens. You can not get into it with a cleaning patch/cloth and even a cotton swab won't reach in to it. For me, at least, I found that it didn't take long for the powder residue to build up on the lens to a point where the dot became diffused into a large pattern that was 6"+ at only 10 yards. Still usable? Yes, but I didn't like it. So I no longer use it.

Bottom line, while others will give you a definitive yes or no on whether or not you should use one, I don't think it is that easy a question. It is a tool, and like any other tool it will be good for some, and not so good for others. Just like the gun itself, there is no "one size fits all" answer. Try it and see if it helps you. The main thing that I would caution you on is not to become complacent and rely 100% on it. Continue to practice with your iron sights so that you are not SOL should the laser fail.

I have put them on my last two EDC. I can shoot without it, but I shoot better with it. If I do not have my reading glasses on, I am only point shooting.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by daniel804 View Post
    Should I put a crimson trace on my ccw ?

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry mobile app
    Sure, why not. I have one on mine. I don't need it as I have it set in my head to aim with the sights anyway but I don't think it will ever impede anything. What pistol and what style of CT you putting on? Is it a picatinny mount? Trigger guard mount with an actual switch you gotta turn on or does it have a momentary switch near the grip?

For those that actually have training and reasonably good eyesight, it is faster to use the sights than to point at the threat and search for the laser. Attend a training class and learn the fundamentals of defensive shooting! Don't try to buy skills by buying gear. It doesn't work!

For the OP, what is your motivation for getting a laser in the first place? What problem are you trying to solve? Most people have zero training and just buy stuff because other people that don't have training tell them to do so on gun forums.

I probably need to post this video more often:

9. If your chasing lasers instead of pointing sights. Your dead. Learn to use your sights. Focus on your front sight pointing at the target. If you can't focus on your front sight. Get a dog.

Bikenut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpenn View Post
    If your chasing lasers instead of pointing sights. Your dead. Learn to use your sights. Focus on your front sight pointing at the target. If you can't focus on your front sight. Get a dog.
    A laser is just another tool in the toolbox and can be useful if your eyes are at one level and your gun is at a different level. Not all situations allow for lining your eye(s) up with the gun's sight(s).

Just like a Garmin GPS, especially in a commercial motor vehicle, it's just a tool, not to be primarily depended on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast