Spare mag...bullets facing forward or rearward? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spare mag...bullets facing forward or rearward?

Some pretty good advice for all to consider with one major exception. Never run your weapon dry (slide open). One must assume the reason for speedy reload is for need to get back on target, the worst thing you can do is run the weapon dry. I don't even do it when I practice. Just some food for thought. Gunsite the premier tactical gurus teach this. For me I like horizontal bullets down, vertical, bullets forward, index finger on lead bullet to insure no repositioning before inserting to mag well.

I took more of a reverse philosophy. I held the magazine like I was reloading (middle, ring, pinky wrapped with thumb, index finger indexed the nose of the bullet). From there I naturally put the magazine in the holster (waist, shoulder, pocket). Waist = forward, shoulder vertical = backwards, shoulder horizontal = up, pocket = forward**

Quote Originally Posted by Bones:199846
    Some pretty good advice for all to consider with one major exception. Never run your weapon dry (slide open). One must assume the reason for speedy reload is for need to get back on target, the worst thing you can do is run the weapon dry. I don't even do it when I practice. Just some food for thought. Gunsite the premier tactical gurus teach this. For me I like horizontal bullets down, vertical, bullets forward, index finger on lead bullet to insure no repositioning before inserting to mag well.
    I agree a"tactical reload" (i watch a lot of magpul videos) would be better (especially if you can stop the threat that fast), but when the time comes and you squeeze off the rounds... You mind and body will be going 200 mph and you will run it dry, I practice both tactical reloading and empty gun reloading while I'm out shooting for this reason.

Bullets forward
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

I have recently started to carry and I also like forward facing bullets. The mags load faster for me and also if I happen to bang against a table or something it wont knock out a round from the mag. I've had this happen a couple times.

Both ways are good. Rob Pincus, is one instructor who advocates the bullet to the rear, carry style. I tried it, but am to ingrained having them facing the front, that it didn't work as well. like shooting stances, they both have advantages.

Reloading from EMPTY in defensive use with your Glock:

Bullets forward. Gun in right hand viewed in peripheral vision (keep eyes on the target), release empty mag and let it drop while simultaniously indexing new mag with left hand (front mag if using a double mag holder). Index finger should ride up the front of the mag with tip of finger touching the top round. Insert mag by feel (index finger touches bottom of grip at semi-circular indention). Continue to slide mag upward until locked. Drop slide and continue to fire.

Once mastered, this drill should then be practiced while moving to minimize the chance you may fall or lose sight of your goblin during the reload process. You should be able to reload without looking at the gun or mag directly. Use your peripheral. Shoot your way to cover and then do a tactical reload, retaining the partially empty mag. Never get caught in the open with an empty mag. If you do, get running while you reload. Practice so you don't drop your last mag. This process should be done using gross motor skills as fine motor skills go out the window when under the stress of a gunfight.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123