Elk season starts Saturday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk season starts Saturday

Elk season starts Saturday

My elk season starts this saturday morning. We are supposed to get some snow this week, so hopefully it will
    make it a little easier to find the elk. It has been really warm so far this hunting season and it is making it difficult to find any elk. I am hoping this storm will change that. It is my 12 yr old son's first elk hunt, so hopefully the weather gods will smile on us and help us find him a bull.

Good luck

Good luck on the hunt. Does the boy have any idea what it is like packing out a big elk?

4. It seems that from 8 to 80 go elk hunting here in Arizona. Blasted streets are either loaded with trucks with ATVs or empty. Every where I go it seems someone is practicing elk calls. oooooooh Boy do they taste good.

Blog Entries

Best of Luck

Best of Luck to you and your son.
    Our deer gun season starts here (in Ohio) in December.
    Archery season is in now, I plan on going out Saturday also.
    The peak of the rut will start here around the second week of November.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

We got snow all the way down to 4500 feet elevation last night. Only about an inch or so here in town but
    there should be over a foot above 9500 feet, which should push the elk out of the dark timber and make them a little easier to find. My son hunted with us last yea,r without a rifle, but we didn't get an elk so he has not had the "pleasure" of packing out an elk yet. Should be a great experience for him. He has a total of 3 elk tags for this fall, so he should get a lot of elk hunting experience. I know I am going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Semper Fi

Well, we started out seeing elk Sat. morning and my friend from work killed a bull before 0800. We did not get a shot opportunity for my young uns but the still ahd a great time over the weekend. Another of the guys in camp killed a bull on Mon. morning and when we went in to pack it out that afternoon, I spotted a bull above us and put the sneak on them. I killed him from 300yds with two rounds from my 30.06. He only went about 5 yds after the first round and was dead before he hit the ground after the second. Just a small 4x4 but he will fill the freezer.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by rsdonb View Post
    It seems that from 8 to 80 go elk hunting here in Arizona. Blasted streets are either loaded with trucks with ATVs or empty. Every where I go it seems someone is practicing elk calls. oooooooh Boy do they taste good.
    you got that right. been a few years since I have had an elk steak... and dying for some jerky too!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elkhuntCO View Post
    Well, we started out seeing elk Sat. morning and my friend from work killed a bull before 0800. We did not get a shot opportunity for my young uns but the still ahd a great time over the weekend. Another of the guys in camp killed a bull on Mon. morning and when we went in to pack it out that afternoon, I spotted a bull above us and put the sneak on them. I killed him from 300yds with two rounds from my 30.06. He only went about 5 yds after the first round and was dead before he hit the ground after the second. Just a small 4x4 but he will fill the freezer.

Semper Fi
    nice! congratulations. any pics you could post?
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Very Good.. And as Sarah would say, ........ Plenty of room next to the mashed potatoes....
    Semper Fi

I'm liking that next to the mashed taters idea,,,,mmmhhhmmm
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast