Deer season
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer season

Deer season

So tonight I've been cruising the forum,almost threw up because of one of the posts,reading about the Soldiers that lost their lives at Ft Hood. Generally this forum is a real depressing site for me. With the political climate and all the goings on in the world it really makes me wish the Lord would just come back and get us out of this mess we're in. On a lighter note,what have the outdoorsy types been doing to prepare for hunting season? I myself have all of the family deer rifles sighted in,checked the game cameras, and generally gotten ready for the opening of deer season. Rifles are tuned to the gilt edge of precision,knives are sharp. Four wheeler has a brand new starter. Stands and shoot houses are cleaned and ready. What do y'all do to get ready?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

If the Nephew had not came down with some bug the day before yesterday, We'd be Up at the cabin now and bow hunting in the morning. Rifle opens on the 15th and the 44 is in good shape and a box of Hornaday 225 FTX's are packed and ready to go. But until somebodies fever breaks, I'll have to hunt locally on Sunday... I will have to do something soon, Haven't shaved in a month plus and it's itching..... Growing buck beards are part of the ritual...
    Semper Fi

Deer with Revolver

Ricbak - I took my 1st Deer with a revolver this year with a set up looks exactly like your avatar: Ruger SuperRedhawk 7.5" bbl, with a Leupold 2x on top, shooting Federal Premium 225 gr. Put a hole through a little 2x2 at 40 yds. Good luck and hope your nephew gets well.

Well, I don't hunt with a stick 'n' string, nor a smoke pole, so I haven't had a chance to do anything yet this year. Next Saturday is my gun opener, and I'll be there dark and early. I need to get a battery for the 4-wheeler between now and then so I can make sure it's running well. I'm looking forward to it.

It has been unseasonably warm, lately, so I'm hoping it'll cool down a few more degrees. Last year's opener, it was 10 degrees. Right now, overnight lows haven't even hit the freezing mark. Couple that with a record rainfall for October, my hunting grounds are still underwater.

Here's the camp entrance road looking from the steps of the cabin. This is the most shallow spot on the main road. The closer you get to the river, the deeper and faster-moving it gets.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Get ready??! Yawn...deer are already processed by the wife and I and in the freezer. "Get ready" around here consists of "aim and shoot". Buggers are EVERYWHERE. Son and I will continue to bow-hunt, which gets interesting when the temp goes sub-zero.

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    for October, my hunting grounds are still underwater.

Here's the camp entrance road looking from the steps of the cabin. This is the most shallow spot on the main road. The closer you get to the river, the deeper and faster-moving it gets.
    PF why don't you get that navy guy, O'Shay to sail you in? Your right, It's been WAY too warm. None of the boys have started to chase the girls yet...
    Krawler Nice shot... Gotta pay attention with that 2 power, I killed a 1" tree a while back..... never saw it in the Leupold... Hate when I do that...
    JJF INVU Bow opens 10/1 and I've been out just a few times.... Seen some critters but nothing close enough to throw a stick at...
    Semper Fi

Rick O'Shay is on a long-term "deployment" with his current employer. He's out of the action for quite a while.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Blog Entries

First Day of Deer Season

Guys

I tried to upload a picture of the 9 point I got yesterday.

Can't seem to get it to upload.

I will try to add the picture to my album.

USA Carry - Debray's Album: Hunting at Debray Farm - Picture

85 yards- 195 gr. HP- and 80gr. FFG
    Last edited by Debray; 12-01-2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added picture to Debray Farm Hunting Album
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Very nice!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

I didn't get a chance to go out this year:(:(:( I had my .30-06 zeroed in but ended up being a no go. I am pretty much the only one in my family who enjoys hunting, so that made it a bit harder to get a hunting buddy. oh well.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast