Best Scope for Deer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Scope for Deer

1. Best Scope for Deer

I live in Utah and will be hunting for deer next year. I haven't been hunting for a few years and want to get back into it. When I was younger I used my fathers rifle. I don't remember much about the scope he had but am wondering what a good scope would be that wont break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSteve View Post
    I live in Utah and will be hunting for deer next year. I haven't been hunting for a few years and want to get back into it. When I was younger I used my fathers rifle. I don't remember much about the scope he had but am wondering what a good scope would be that wont break the bank.
    It really depends on your rifle and what you are expecting out of a scope. You can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers, but unless you actually test them, anybody's advice doesn't mean junk. Case in point: I use a mosin for small game hunting and sometimes for deer, and I've got a $60 AIM scout scope kit that anyone I talked to swore up and down was junk and wouldn't hold zero...and turns out that it holds zero up to 200m (which is really stretching it for a 7x scope) even after denting the front hood on a branch. On the advice from a friend, I bought my scope at Sportsman's Guide's website and they stand by their products, meaning, if you buy it and it doesn't perform the way it should, you can send it back for a full refund. I ended up sending back a telescoping stock for my Rem 870 because it increased the felt recoil and made follow up shots difficult, no questions other than what was wrong with it. (This is not a plug for their website, just relaying some info.)

The rule of thumb I use is I will only spend 1/4th the value of the rifle or less on optics. I had somebody at Gander trying to sell me a 300 dollar scope for my wifes 250 dollar 20 gauge Mossberg. After the salesman figured I was looking for the bargain basement he walked away. Typical Gander ahole IMHO.

5. I know you are looking for rifle scope, if the rifle is tapped and you have the rings. Research your hunting area to determine if you need a 3x9 or 4x16 scope. Most scopes under $200 will suffice. Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

How far do you think you will be shooting? In my state, PA, we nearly never see a shot more than 100 yards due to the forestry around here. So any 3-9x by 40mm, is good enough.

I'm however of a different opinion then JimTh, I'd rather spend more on the optics then the rifle if I'm looking for a long range shooter. You can make an average rifle great with good optics.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Papasteve what part of Utah will you be hunting? And with what caliber?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Best Scope for Deer

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    The rule of thumb I use is I will only spend 1/4th the value of the rifle or less on optics. I had somebody at Gander trying to sell me a 300 dollar scope for my wifes 250 dollar 20 gauge Mossberg. After the salesman figured I was looking for the bargain basement he walked away. Typical Gander ahole IMHO.
    That seems low to me but maybe I just prefer brand names and reputable quality. I usually buy a scope that costs as much as the rifle itself. I've tried the cheap Barskas, BSAs, etc. and they've all been garbage (In my experience at least.) The only BSA I've got to hold a zero was the one I put on my browning t-bolt .22. Never had a problem with a Leupold, Nightforce, or Zeiss though.

Quote Originally Posted by unintentionalracist View Post
    and wouldn't hold zero...and turns out that it holds zero up to 200m (which is really stretching it for a 7x scope) even after denting the front hood on a branch.
    On a side note, I don't understand this statement. The USMC rifle qualification includes shooting out to 500m with iron sights, or at most now a 4x ACOG. How exactly is 200m a stretch for a 7x scope?

It doesn't look like the OP is going to answer any questions.

And good grief, who can afford a nightforce?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    That seems low to me but maybe I just prefer brand names and reputable quality. I usually buy a scope that costs as much as the rifle itself. I've tried the cheap Barskas, BSAs, etc. and they've all been garbage (In my experience at least.) The only BSA I've got to hold a zero was the one I put on my browning t-bolt .22. Never had a problem with a Leupold, Nightforce, or Zeiss though.

On a side note, I don't understand this statement. The USMC rifle qualification includes shooting out to 500m with iron sights, or at most now a 4x ACOG. How exactly is 200m a stretch for a 7x scope?
    Because of the 4 rules of firearms safety. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. They apply more in the woods than on the battlefield, where collateral damage is unavoidable and to be expected. And many Marines fail to follow the 4 rules, what with all the flagging and NDs...just sayin. They do teach you jarheads firearms safety, right?

11. Nikon Buckmaster series seem to work well, and not too expensive. Always had a fixed 4x power when I was younger, pretty sure the scope was always on, even if I missed the mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast