.22 hunting pistol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 hunting pistol

.22 hunting pistol

Hey all,

Hopefully I can benefit from some of the forum's experiences.

I live in PA and can NOT hunt with any firearm that is semi-automatic. This leaves open bolt action and revolvers to choose from.

I'm interested in getting involved in small game hunting with a pistol. I was leaning towards a revolver that can shoot .22 LR and would prefer one that could also shoot .22 WMR, but would be open to suggestions that would fit the parameters of what I'm wanting to use it for.

If anyone could recommend a good firearm that can do both and still be legal to hunt within PA's zany regulations, it would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time.

wolf_fire
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Ruger Single Six converts between LR and Mag. Has sights adjustable for windage and elevation. Is very accurate and fun to shoot.
    Great gun for small game.
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

.22 hunting pistol

I have in the family a Taurus tracker. It's a double action revolver that converts from .22lr and .22WMR. Only thing is I haven't shot it yet. It has sat in the safe since it's purchase. It feels very comfortable and the sights are a good size. It looks like there's enough metal in the receiver to drill and tap for a scope if you'd like. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the grip seems small. It feels ok in the hand just smaller than what I'm used to.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

Wolf, either one of those choices would be great... Ruger makes the Single Six, Single Nine and Single Ten, all great little .22s. The Taurus Tracker is not too bad either and is usually a little less than a Ruger, usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I've been leaning the way of the Taurus Tracker and have read that a barrel is either has a twist rate for the LR or for the Magnum, but usually you don't get good reliability from both rounds. Is there any validity to this?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I've been leaning the way of the Taurus Tracker and have read that a barrel is either has a twist rate for the LR or for the Magnum, but usually you don't get good reliability from both rounds. Is there any validity to this?
    The .22mag bullet is a wee-bit larger than the .22lr bullet and therefore, most modern barrels that are expected to fire both rounds will be sized for the larger diameter. In a short barreled weapon, the oversize bore will have a negligible effect on applicable accuracy. There's a reason that very few (if any) rifles have been produced with this intended combination and have been expected to perform well at long ranges. As far as twist rate... negligible, no issues to be measured in a pistol. If you have an older (not sure of exact date to begin with) pistol that was altered to fire both rounds and did not have the barrel re-cut... you are going to have spiked pressures when shooting jacketed magnum rounds from a .22lr *only* barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Wolf, I lean toward Ruger. Not because I am familiar with the gun you are talking about but other ones I have first hand knowledge of' Excellent quality. My main reason now is their exceptional customer care. They really stand behind their product.
    I had a Mk III Hunter. I had probs with it from the beginning. Couldn't get through more then a mag or two without a stovepipe. Everyone said it needs to be broken in. BS. I bought more factory mags, made sure the extractor was spotless. Didn't help. I loved the way it shot....when it did without a malfunction. I found myself not shooting it. Finally at the end of this summer I called them to arrange by their Fed EX contract to pick it up at my place so it could be worked on. A couple of days later I got an email asking me if it was OK for them to destroy the gun and send to my FFL a new one. This all took less then a week. They put 40 rounds through it. I put 400 more and it works perfectly.
    The amazing part is I had the old gun fir 3 years and they replaced it. As they say,"be governed accordingly".
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

I've had a Ruger Single Six for about 30 years Wolf, and it has never given any trouble, was accurate out of the box, and still is accurate using either cylinder. The only changes that have been made were a Wulff trigger spring to lighten the pull a bit, and a red insert on the front sight and a white outlined rear sight blade to make it a little easier for aging eyes to see. It is dependable.

I have the Ruger and it is accurate with both the 22LR and 22 Mag. One of the most fun guns I own.

11. I have 3 ruger revolvers and they are some of the finest guns I own., but if you realy want a good hunting revolver a smith and wesson or a colt might be worth looking at. I have a colt trooper MKIII and it is great. I wish I could get my hands on a colt diamond back or maybe a S&W K19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast