Firearm recommendation for huntin' wa'bbits - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearm recommendation for huntin' wa'bbits

1. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Another option for smaller build folks is shooting a "youth model". I have a 20 gauge Remington 870 express that's a youth model. Has a shorter stock and is easier to handle for most ladies and first time shooters. I've used this shotgun in high brush when hunting various game birds and on a couple of wild dog hunts. It's a very comfortable gun to shoot, though I sill prefer my Mossberg 500.
    gf
    Youth model? Oh dear! It's been a while since I was a youth. . . But yeah, that's probably better for me since I'm 5'1" @ 117lbs.
    -was a Mossberg 500 that bit me. . . hate that gun. I know that makes me very uncool and wussy, but oh well. I can see why you like it though. . .
    And, I did lean into it. Swear!

Thanks for the recommendation. Checked out the Remington online and it looks alright. Cheap too. . ..

+1 on the youth model. I've shot Mossberg's youth model (505 I think) and it fit real nice--I'm 5'2". I've looked at the Remington before also, but not shot it--Thanks Glock Fan, for sharing your experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChick View Post
    Youth model? Oh dear! It's been a while since I was a youth. . . But yeah, that's probably better for me since I'm 5'1" @ 117lbs.
    -was a Mossberg 500 that bit me. . . hate that gun. I know that makes me very uncool and wussy, but oh well. I can see why you like it though. . .
    And, I did lean into it. Swear!

Thanks for the recommendation. Checked out the Remington online and it looks alright. Cheap too. . ..

Nothing wrong with shooting a youth model shotgun. Like I stated earlier, I've used the 870 in high brush. I've also entered a couple of skeet competitions with the youth model. Some of the guys gave me grief until I started banging the clays and made them look bad. It's all a matter of personal choice. If the firearm is uncomfortable to shoot, then you have a few options. You can purchase a firearm that is comfortable to shoot, you can find a accessory like a "Limbsaver" that will make it more comfortable, or if you have a lot of time and money, you could get a "custom job" done.

I personally like my guns off the shelf, then accessorize as necessary. A custom gun is nice, but wouldn't be something that would suit my purposes.

Not all Mossberg 500 shotguns are bad. Mine has never bitten anyone.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Anyone hunt rabbits?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
    .22's are always fun!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

.22 LR
    20 Gauge

After you get a few try bunny and dumplings!

wolfhunter Guest
    12 or 20 ga. with No. 6 shot, or a .22LR. If you'll be in a fairly open area where longer shots are possible, the "varminter" rounds will work well.

I prefer a 12 ga. pump, 870, 500, or my current Benelli SuperNova.

8. If you want meat for the pot a shotgun is your best bet, but if you want the thrill of the hunt try 22 rifle or pistol and if that is not challenging enough try a black powder shotgun or rifle or pistol. Rabbit hunting is great fun, be safe and good hunting.

9. A gas operated auto like a 1187 Remington, a Browning silver Hunter in a 20 gauge should work very good. No. 6 shot in light load. Wal Mart has very good deals on 1187's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Try throwing woks at the wascally wabbit...and then you can cook the wabbit in it.

Anyone hunt rabbits?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
    In my opinion, I do not like to hunt rabbit with shot, and I hate shot in my rabbit meat. With this in mind, I have hunted rabbit using a .22 LR, .17 HMR, and a GAMO air rifle (not your daddy's air rifle... this thing shoots a round 1200 fps).

I found that in my backyard, I grab the air rifle. When I go out in the woods, the .22 usually comes with me. If I want an especially challenging hunt, I'll use the .17 at distances of 100-150 yards.

YMMV
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast