Fox family in my yard - an ethical question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox family in my yard - an ethical question

1. Fox family in my yard - an ethical question

I have a family of foxes living in my yard. I would like to get their pelts. I have no qualms about shooting the adults, but they have 3 kits that are outside the den and hunting with them. I am not so sure that I want the kits to starve. Although, I am not sure I could shoot them as well. Perhaps trapping would work. I do not know quite what to do. The kits are just now starting to hunt, so if I did not get them right away - maybe they would not starve, and I could get them at a later date.

I have a 1 year old granddaughter living with us, and one of the foxes came to within 20 yards of my wife while she was sitting on the front porch. I was too slow getting the rifle at the time. Also, we want to get chickens this year, and they have brought some chicken carcasses (from the neighborhood) into our yard to feast. This will be a problem in the future.

Also, I assume that a 10-22 would be fine for a fox - less than 75 yards. Remington 22 Golden tip hollowpoints 62gr. 1280fps.

Any thoughts opinions appreciated.

If your state and local laws allow you take all of them that is the best choice.

why not live trap them and move to another location?

Quote Originally Posted by Ab38off View Post
    why not live trap them and move to another location?
    Tough to get the pelts that way.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Artista_co View Post
    I have a family of foxes living in my yard. I would like to get their pelts. I have no qualms about shooting the adults, but they have 3 kits that are outside the den and hunting with them. I am not so sure that I want the kits to starve. Although, I am not sure I could shoot them as well. Perhaps trapping would work. I do not know quite what to do. The kits are just now starting to hunt, so if I did not get them right away - maybe they would not starve, and I could get them at a later date.

I have a 1 year old granddaughter living with us, and one of the foxes came to within 20 yards of my wife while she was sitting on the front porch. I was too slow getting the rifle at the time. Also, we want to get chickens this year, and they have brought some chicken carcasses (from the neighborhood) into our yard to feast. This will be a problem in the future.

Also, I assume that a 10-22 would be fine for a fox - less than 75 yards. Remington 22 Golden tip hollowpoints 62gr. 1280fps.

Any thoughts opinions appreciated.

Personally, if the kits can hunt, they can survive. That choice is yours (of course if within the rules of hunting in your area).

As far as the .22 LR is concerned. Hell no unless you're shooting a heck of a lot closer than 75 yards. You better have one hell of a shot placement if you are shooting that far and using a .22 LR. More than likely you will just wound the fox.

A .22 mag or .17 hmr at that distance would be a better choice, most would say .223 would be a more humane kill. What other choices in caliber do you have?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

7. I appreciate that .5.56 is the next caliber - I will go there it is either that or 30.06
    .....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista_co View Post
    I appreciate that .5.56 is the next caliber - I will go there it is either that or 30.06
    .....thanks.
    Go with the 5.56 then.... we want pictures of the pelts you acquire.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Wait til they leave the burrow and put a sheet of weighted (cinderblocks) plywood over their burrow. When they come back and find no access to it they will probably move on to a new location. You get rid of them and nobody dies. We have a lot of fox in our county and it has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Wait til they leave the burrow and put a sheet of weighted (cinderblocks) plywood over their burrow. When they come back and find no access to it they will probably move on to a new location. You get rid of them and nobody dies. We have a lot of fox in our county and I has worked for me.
    But then the OP gets no pelts.

I want a fox pelt... with the fox still in it!

Happy little guy... lol

Love foxes... but no good around chickens.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast