My Second Deer Ever
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Second Deer Ever

My Second Deer Ever

I've been deer "hunting" for about 10 years, and finally broke my spell last year with a 1-point buck. Then on Saturday Nov. 22nd (opening day of TN gun season), I shot this nice 6-pointer. Live weight was right at 140 lbs. I was stoked!

Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

congrats. nice looking whitetail. there will be more to come i'm sure. time for some steaks and chops.
    great pics also

nice to see another post, you would think you would see more on the hunting part of this forum.
    "Victory at all cost Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without Victory there is no survival."
    (Winston Churchill)

Who knows? It is deer season! I might try to get out some more this season. I donated the rest of last year's meat to a local homeless shelter. It's just my wife and I, so one deer lasts us all year. I'll post more as I get them.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Good for you!!! I've put in more hours than I care to think about without the opportunity to even cock the hammer! Been a tough year, (so far), for this boy so yours makes it that much sweeter.
    Conflict is inevitable, combat is a choice!

Quote Originally Posted by skipjack_1st View Post
    Good for you!!! I've put in more hours than I care to think about without the opportunity to even cock the hammer! Been a tough year, (so far), for this boy so yours makes it that much sweeter.
    good luck out there skipjack-1st. I know you have been out a lot and you will bag a buck just hang in there. were waiting for your post and pic of your whitetail.

I need to get ryan to post a pic of his.

DJ58
    "Victory at all cost Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without Victory there is no survival."
    (Winston Churchill)

Here in PRHI, we have "full sized" fawns.

This photo was taken back in April of '06. It was a fun hunt. Haven't been out much since.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

What are those, GF?????

They're the largest fawns you'll ever see.

j/k They're called "Axis Deer", scientific name "Axis axis". They're originally from India. The largest Axis deer I've seen were around 190 lbs. They keep their spots for life, which often confuses taxidermists who are not familiar with the species.

I got a few calls over the years from taxidermists who were upset because they thought the samples I sent them for mounting fawns. After explaining the species and reasoning that I've never seen a 100+ lb. fawn, we both had a good laugh.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Huh....interesting species. I like the antlers. Do they stay in velvet year round?

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    Huh....interesting species. I like the antlers. Do they stay in velvet year round?
    Due to the tropical climate here in PRHI, you will find deer in various stages of velvet year round. There's no set breeding cycle, so "the rut" pretty much happens year round.

gf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast