Deer Hunting Rifle Recommendations?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunting Rifle Recommendations?

Deer Hunting Rifle Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good rifle to start with for hunting deer? I went skeet shooting recently and was looking at getting a shotgun but will most likely be getting into some deer hunting soon. I shot my friend's today but for the life of me cannot remember what it was...blouser...browser? Not a mauser though. Anyway, I was thinking of something around 400-500? Is that enough to get into something decent to start with?

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

wolfhunter Guest
    Bolt Action: Remington 700 in .270, 7mm RemMag, or .308
    Pump: Remington 7600P in .308
    Lever: Marlin .30-30

It was a Blaser:

Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH: Home

And thanks, I'm checking on those models now.

Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

The Remington 700 seems like that would be what I'm looking for. Anything you can add on what caliber to choose? I know I shot a 7mm today but not sure what kind.

It was a 7MM-08 and he said he has a 300 short mag and 30-06 barrel for it. And it sounds like he may have another one he can sell me.

wolfhunter Guest
    I have a 700 in 7mmRemMag. I've seen bullet weights from 110 grains to 185 grains. Last year, I shot a 120 pound buck with a 154 gr. bullet at 87 yards. The deer was white-side-up on the same spot where he'd been standing. Bullet destroyed the heart and off-side shoulder.

The .270 and .308 also are excellent rounds for deer. Some people say the .243 is minimal for deer, but after hearing about my bro-in-law's recent hunt in Kentucky, I won't recommend it.

I'd go with the .270 if you're hunting deer and smaller game. If you plan on hunting larger game (Elk, Moose, etc.) I'd get a .30-06. For hunting White Tail deer and smaller game, the .270 is more than enough gun. The "win mag", "ultra mag" etc, calibers tend to be too much gun for White Tail and smaller species. I guided a pair of guys who were shooting Jarrett .300 Ultra Mag rifles. This was way too much gun. When we retrieved the game, I noticed the small entry wound and a missing shoulder on the opposite side. This was a waste in my opinion due to not being able to use a whole shoulder of the animal.

Another thing to consider is availability of ammunition. Common calibers like .270, .308, .30-06 and even .30-30 are fairly common. When you use the "specialty calibers" like the "mag" and "ultra mag" calibers, then you may run into problems. There's not a season that goes by where I don't encounter a frantic hunter who is scrambling for ammo because they forgot to pack ammo before their trip. I usually pack a box of each "common" caliber of factory ammo. Though I cannot sell the ammo, I tend to "barter" for a lot of cool stuff (like game meat and favors to be named later).

Hope I was able to help in your decision.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Thanks. I think the Blaser he is going to let me try out is a 30-06 but I'm not sure. I'm going to try and go hunting with him Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations on a good rifle to start with for hunting deer? I went skeet shooting recently and was looking at getting a shotgun but will most likely be getting into some deer hunting soon. I shot my friend's today but for the life of me cannot remember what it was...blouser...browser? Not a mauser though. Anyway, I was thinking of something around 400-500? Is that enough to get into something decent to start with?
    Are you looking for a slug gun or a rifle? Personally, I'd stick with a rifle. I'm not sure how accurate a slug gun can be at typical deer ranges. You'll never go wrong with any of the following:

.270 - Fast, flat, & deadly....excellent caliber up to about 250-300 yards. Probably the most popular deer gun in the woods today.

.30-30 - More deer have been killed with this cartridge than with any other. Usually considered a "brush" gun due to its relatively short range (under 200 yards). It's got a relatively massive bullet, not easily deflected by twigs. This is my rifle of choice because it's inexpensive and I think it's sexy. Shot my 2nd deer ever, two weeks ago, with it.

.30-06 - Similar to the .270, but a bigger, slower bullet.

You can also get a little more exotic with such calibers as a .243, .300 Winchester magnum, .308, 7mm-08, or a 7mm Magnum. I think these tend to get a little more expensive to buy, as well as shoot. Rounds are a little mroe expensive.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I'm sticking with a rifle. I'll probably use this Blaser my friend has and see if I like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast