Pheasant Hunting in NH

Thread: Pheasant Hunting in NH

Pheasant Hunting in NH

Any recommendations for hunting Pheasant? Just curious. I am going to be going hunting this year for Pheasant for the first time. Thanks guys!

-Capo-
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I use to Pheasant hunt in Kansas a lot. We line hunted in Millet fields and was pretty effective. I preferred using dogs instead of line hunting though.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

You can find NH pheasant hunting locations on Game Bird Hunts Trying to find pheasant hunting lodges in New Hampshire? Your New Hampshire hunting preserve directory is at game bird hunts. - you can also look in adjoining states at the website. Previous poster is correct - some good bird hunting in Kansas, as well as in west OK and the panhandle of TX. I prefer wild birds instead of pen-raised/released. If you are asking about equipment (shotgun, shells, wild or pen bird best ammo, etc) - tell us what you have and somebody will have an answer or suggestion. I use my Browning Lightning 12ga with 2-3/4" #5 shot with modified choke for longer shots (bottom barrel) and #6 shot with improved cylinder for closer shots. Just flick the barrell selector depending on which type of bird rises. Usually, a smaller shot size works early in the season - but you may have to to a larger (even #4 shot) later as the birds get wary and are longer shots. If shooting softer and closer in pen-raised bird hunts - you can go smaller shot (6, 7, 7-1/2) and even more open choke. I have a Browning XS Sporting - but I don't use it too much for bird hunts cuz the porting scares up every bird in the county. Almost any shotgun will do - however, go shoot some clays or skeet so you know what your gun's lead needs to be on crosser, away, and angled, shots. Have fun...

5. I agree that some prehunting practice is a must. I shoot a 20 ga. o/u for pheasant that are being pointed out by dogs.(that means I am very close to the birds)A light semiauto in 12 ga. is with a mod choke is what I would recomend for a first pheasant gun.High brass no.6 shot is a good all round load with a hand full of no. 4 if the birds are getting up at a distance.Go and practice before your hunt and have a safe fun trip.