Idaho CCW Training Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idaho CCW Training Question

1. This info is off the Kootenai Co Sheriff's website.

Concealed Weapons Permits

(Click here for details of the Idaho Concealed Weapon laws, Section 18-3302 A-C

Kootenai County Sheriffs Department is open to the public Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

APPLYING FOR AN INITIAL CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT (CWP)

* Concealed weapons applications are available at the Kootenai County Sheriffs Department.

* CCW fingerprinting is done on Wednesdays and Fridays only

between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

* You must provide appropriate identification, eg. drivers license with current address, as well as proof of firearms training. This may include: Certificate from a hunter safety course.

Military discharge papers (DD2 14) or active military I.D. Completion of a firearms safety course taught by a state or NRA certified instructor.
    Law enforcement firearms training.

* A fee of $62 (cash only) is paid at the time of fingerprinting.

* It may take up to 90 days to process applications and complete criminal history checks. Approved applicants are notified by mail when to return for their permit to be issued. They are valid for five (5) years from date of issue.
    RENEWING YOUR CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT

* You must complete a concealed weapons application and present your CCW permit.

Make sure Driver's License has your current address.
    (Click here for a link to Idaho Change of Address Request).

* You can renew any time during the ninety (90) day period before the expiration date for a $25 fee payable in cash only. Renewals done more than 90 days after the expiration date are subject to a $10 late fee.

* Allow a minimum of 30 days for your renewal to be processed. Approved renewal applicants are notified by mail. Renewal licenses are valid for (5) years from the previous expiration date.

You will have to provide specific information on your Concealed Weapon Permit application. If you would like to be prepared, review this sample application for the information you will need.

as far as training, hunter's ed worked for me. Boise even sent me a copy of my card (they have records back to 1980). Latah Co. Sheriff took about two weeks to approve me.

While I live in eastern Washington and have a Washington cpl I would also like to get an Idaho permit. The question is if the Sheriff in Sandpoint offers the required class as it is my understanding that some of the Sheriffs in Idaho offer a class that fufills the requirements. The next question is if Oregon would accept the class(if offered) for its requirements. I think that it is a good idea to obtain permits from adjacent states if possible and the Idaho permit is accepted in many states.

Idaho requires proof of firearm safety training. This can be proof of hunter safety training, NRA Basic Pistol class or any handgun safety class taught by an NRA instructor.
    In order to get an Oregon CCW you need to be a resident of a neighboring state (Idaho qualifies) and demonstrate a need to an Oregon sheriff. The trick in Oregon for obtaining a non-resident permit is finding a sheriff that will issue a permit to a non-resident. Sheriff Palmer in Grant County recognizes self defense as a legitimate reason. If you can show that you have received firearms safety training and are willing to make the drive to Canyon City OR to apply in person, you should be able to get an Oregon permit.

I hope this helps.

Does Idaho allow permit applications to be mailed in, or is an "in-person" application required?

Although I have never found anything in the Idaho statutes requiring that you apply for your Idaho CCW in person, most, if not all, of the sheriff's departments require you to. Kootenai County, where we live, also requires that you pick up your permit in person once it is approved. Idaho does recognize CCW permits from all other states so, if you are not a resident of Idaho and have a CCW permit from your home state, or any other state, there really isn't any need to apply for an Idaho permit. Just remember that, if you carry in our state you must follow Idaho's laws. I hope this helps.

Just make it easy on yourself and take the Utah Concealed Carry class. It's good in a bunch of states, including Idaho.

Also, some more requirements for living in Idaho not listed previously:

1. No Californians (if you're from California, remove your license plates immediately and never tell--you think I'm joking, but I'm not).

2. You must hunt or be supportive of those who hunt.

3.Leave all the big-city bling behind you--you will be made fun of mercilessly if you have spinner rims, gold chains, designer clothes, or the like.

4.You may be of any political party, and as educated and cultured as you wish, but common sense reigns supreme.

5. Learn to drive slower, and with more space between vehicles. Especially in the winter.

6. If you reveal you are from a warmer climate, you must never, ever ***** about the snow. We get a LOT of it. It's cold, it's wet, it sucks to be stuck in (and you will get stuck in it), but if foreigners complain about it, we usher them to the county line and tell 'em to git on back home.

7. Hermits who live off the grid, grow their own food, and come to town once a week are the norm, not the exception. Learn to appreciate them, because they're the ones who will pull you out of the ditch.

8. Don't tell your friends back home how great it is here. We like to keep that our little secret.

9. You may open carry here. Expect to get some weird looks if you're in a bigger city (and here, a "bigger" city is 10K and above).

10. In most instances you will be judged by the quality of your character. No one much cares what kind of car you drive, or how big your house is, but they will remember if you were honest.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl:243707
    Just make it easy on yourself and take the Utah Concealed Carry class. It's good in a bunch of states, including Idaho.

Also, some more requirements for living in Idaho not listed previously:

1. No Californians (if you're from California, remove your license plates immediately and never tell--you think I'm joking, but I'm not).

2. You must hunt or be supportive of those who hunt.

3.Leave all the big-city bling behind you--you will be made fun of mercilessly if you have spinner rims, gold chains, designer clothes, or the like.

4.You may be of any political party, and as educated and cultured as you wish, but common sense reigns supreme.

5. Learn to drive slower, and with more space between vehicles. Especially in the winter.

6. If you reveal you are from a warmer climate, you must never, ever ***** about the snow. We get a LOT of it. It's cold, it's wet, it sucks to be stuck in (and you will get stuck in it), but if foreigners complain about it, we usher them to the county line and tell 'em to git on back home.

7. Hermits who live off the grid, grow their own food, and come to town once a week are the norm, not the exception. Learn to appreciate them, because they're the ones who will pull you out of the ditch.

8. Don't tell your friends back home how great it is here. We like to keep that our little secret.

9. You may open carry here. Expect to get some weird looks if you're in a bigger city (and here, a "bigger" city is 10K and above).

10. In most instances you will be judged by the quality of your character. No one much cares what kind of car you drive, or how big your house is, but they will remember if you were honest.
    You forgot to mention that potatos are King up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Actually, that's southern Idaho. We mostly grow hippies, rednecks, retirees and yokels.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl:243737
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Actually, that's southern Idaho. We mostly grow hippies, rednecks, retirees and yokels.
    As far as number 6 on her list. When you go south and cross into Utah..... try to go the speed limit for crying out loud.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast