Idaho CCW Training Question - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Idaho CCW Training Question

I got a Utah non-resident. I took the half-day class and sent off my stuff. No live fire, no Idaho permit. The hardest part was fingerprinting. I did have to do that at my local sheriff's office, and had to do it twice because my prints are so light.

Quote Originally Posted by steve83814 View Post
    Idaho requires that you provide proof of firearms safety training to get a CCW. They do not require any live fire qualification as in Nevada. They do accept hunter safety training as proof of firearms safety training.

Some states, like Utah, require that you have your resident state's CCW before you apply for their non-resident CCW. If you're interested, we have our next Utah CCW class on February 18th. In that class I do compare Utah's laws with Idaho's and that may answer your legal-side questions. If you have any questions, please go ahead and give me a call.

Steve Wall
    Utah Instructor #I102229
    (208) 691-4200
    I will give you a call.Thanks Steve.
    Don't believe everything you think.

4. I know I'm late to this discussion but, I recently applied for my Idaho permit in Kootenai county. It's been a month and counting. There should not be an issue, I have no exclusions and have passed NICS twice recently on gun purchases.

I presented as proof of firearms training, my NRA Range Safety Officer Certificate. I ran an event at my gun club for years. Declined. "NRA training is not valid." huh? Started to argue but....

Prenented my DD214. Accepted.

Punch line? Never in my six years (84-90) in the US Navy did I ever receive small arms training or even touch a working firearm for that matter, in connection to my duties. Not in boot camp, not for duty, never. Most of my firearms training was delivered by NRA instructors after I got out.

Have since attended both an Idaho full day CCW class and a UTAH 1/2 day class as backup and because the iniformation is relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by astute View Post
    you must show that you have a familiarity with guns. ... Your Nevada permit should be quite sufficient.
    Are there any sheriffs who do not accept valid out-of-state CCW licenses as such proof?

I'm a WA resident contemplating a move to ID soon and want to minimize the hassle of getting an ID permit to replace my WA permit.

Quote Originally Posted by RogDog View Post
    I presented as proof of firearms training, my NRA Range Safety Officer Certificate. I ran an event at my gun club for years. Declined. "NRA training is not valid." huh? Started to argue but....
    Um, what?

Per Statutes :
    (13) When issuing a license pursuant to this section, the sheriff may require the applicant to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm and shall accept any of the following, provided the applicant may select whichever of the following applies:
    (b) Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course or any national rifle association hunter education course;
    But whether or not to press the point is certainly up to you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234