Need help with Illinois handgun laws: an interesting predicament.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Illinois handgun laws: an interesting predicament.

1. Need help with Illinois handgun laws: an interesting predicament.

First off I realize no one here wants to play lawyer and I understand that, I just need some help with those of you who are familiar with Illinois laws (non Chicago area). So here's the deal. I go to college in Illinois (live off campus) but am a resident of Colorado. My father is a big time hunter and I have been around / handled guns all my life. My father handed down to me a Springfield 45 ACP that I would like to keep in my nightstand. I do not want to cc, I just want something in the house. Here is the kicker. I am 20, and I understand that if I have a parent sign with me I can legally be in possession of a handgun with a FOID card. But, can I get an FOID card as a non resident? If not I was planning on getting residence there anyway so no big deal. Second, I am flying home and will not be able to take the gun with me, but understand that it can be sent from one gunsmith to another. However once again I am not 21, but I would not be purchasing a gun from the gunsmith, only picking up my gun with my FOID card. My two questions I guess are can I get a card as a non resident, and how do I get the gun back to Illinois? Thanks again for any and all help.

3. Need help with Illinois handgun laws: an interesting predicament.

You can not possess a handgun if you are under 21 in Illinois.

4. Also a transfer between FFL's for shipping will require a 4473 just like a purchase so you would not be able to pick it up.

5. I'm not sure you are correct on your information. You may not purchase a handgun from a certified dealer if you are under 21, but there is no law that states possession must be 21. I work in EMS and have recently talked to some LEOs and they have all stated that it is legal to have a handgun in your possessions as long as a valid FOID card is provided, and one can be given to an individual under 21 with a parent signature. The transportation part however is where I am out of luck. http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ilsl.pdf

I don't know about the state laws... but you can send a gun to your self without going through a dealer.

Hunters do this all the time. If you live in state A you can send your own firearms to yourself in state B assuming possessing the firearms in state A & B is legal.

I believe this is correct.

You can also travel with it if you are willing to do so. Just have to check to make sure the airline you use allows it. MUST be checked in though which is the kicker. Just walk up to the counter and you say I am traveling with a firearm. I myself have never done this but know people who have. Apparently its more common than I thought. They just make sure it is unloaded and safe, have another person verify and stuff some papers with the gun.

THE BAD, (I am not sure if the still do this or not, my source flew around 10 years ago with his piece on this one.)
    They will mark up your bag so that it is very visible. Everyone in the airline business knows what means what and you are required not to have a lock on your suitcase if a firearm is inside. So Joe Blow notices your bag, has that 10 second window and YOINK gone.

Keep in mind I myself have never done this so take what you want out of it. Just going by friends experiences.

As for the nonresident issue why bother? If you present an out of state ID that is more than enough. You think if we went down to Texas they are gonna ask us for our FOID card?

Straight from Illinois state police
    Who needs a FOID card?
    Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

OR buy another gun to leave back in Colorado....its always good to have more than one anyway ;)

Good luck
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdog View Post
    THE BAD, (I am not sure if the still do this or not, my source flew around 10 years ago with his piece on this one.) They will mark up your bag so that it is very visible. Everyone in the airline business knows what means what and you are required not to have a lock on your suitcase if a firearm is inside. So Joe Blow notices your bag, has that 10 second window and YOINK gone.

Keep in mind I myself have never done this so take what you want out of it.
    I wouldn't take anything quoted above. 1. It's a Federal felony for the airline to "mark up your bag so that it is very visible". 2. Since the airlines don't routinely commit Federal felonies, especially since there are typically Federal law enforcement agents working at airports, "Everyone in the airline business knows what means what" becomes false. 3. Finally, "you are required not to have a lock on your suitcase if a firearm is inside" is false as well since Federal law REQUIRES that the firearm go in a LOCKED hard-sided storage container (for which a hard sided suitcase will suffice as well as a hard sided gun case), and the Federal law also REQUIRES that ONLY the owner of the firearm retains the key or combo to the lock! In addition, a locked hard sided gun case can also be placed in a softsided suitcase, and the suitcase MAY optionally be locked, but a TSA approved lock would go on the suitcase.

The Federal law prohibiting marking the suitcase is 18 USC 922 (e):
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/71...2----000-.html

The Federal regulation REQUIRING firearms to be transported in LOCKED cases is 49 CFR 1540.111 (c):
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I wouldn't take anything quoted above. 1. It's a Federal felony for the airline to "mark up your bag so that it is very visible". 2. Since the airlines don't routinely commit Federal felonies, especially since there are typically Federal law enforcement agents working at airports, "Everyone in the airline business knows what means what" becomes false. 3. Finally, "you are required not to have a lock on your suitcase if a firearm is inside" is false as well since Federal law REQUIRES that the firearm go in a LOCKED hard-sided storage container (for which a hard sided suitcase will suffice as well as a hard sided gun case), and the Federal law also REQUIRES that ONLY the owner of the firearm retains the key or combo to the lock! In addition, a locked hard sided gun case can also be placed in a softsided suitcase, and the suitcase MAY optionally be locked, but a TSA approved lock would go on the suitcase.

The Federal law prohibiting marking the suitcase is 18 USC 922 (e):
    United States Code: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

The Federal regulation REQUIRING firearms to be transported in LOCKED cases is 49 CFR 1540.111 (c):
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:
    I would take everything quoted above and buy this individual a drink....he/she need it to relax.

Well as I stated this particular instance was many years ago. You have provided excellent resources for todays laws, which is what the topic starter was looking for. I was simply stating an experience a friend of mine encountered a long time ago. The laws and regulations do change from time to time make sure to keep that in mind. In fact I am quite sure they were different pre 9-11. So in that fact you are correct sir/madam, my response would be considered outdated. Simply providing our fellow forum member with my knowledge base before you came in as the knight in shining armor.
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdog View Post
    I was simply stating an experience a friend of mine encountered a long time ago. The laws and regulations do change from time to time make sure to keep that in mind.
    Those particular laws and regulations haven't changed for at least 30 years. I think your friend was feeding you a line...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

That may be the case but it was also confirmed with a pistol instructor I just so happened to talk to recently. Someone who gained nothing in feeding me this so called line. He also had traveled in the past but not recently.
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast