Military - residency status for CCW license? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Military - residency status for CCW license?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagogunsmith View Post
    Yeah it sucks, and don't be surprised if there aren't law suits challenging this.

But if you think you are sticking around here for any length of time, why not get an IL DL? That would solve the residency issue.
    For military there are benefits to maintaining residency other than where you are stationed. State taxes being the big one. Vehicle registration is an other. If you live in a state with no income tax, or inexpensive car tags/stickers (especially with no inspections required) residency is not something you want to mess with. It also creates confusion when you get pulled over with SC plates and insurance, an expired TN drivers License (expired in 2001) and you are in Virginia... Don't ask how I know. Better to completely shun the place where you are stationed unless you happen to be from a communist state and are stationed in a good one.
    Chief

It's the second- and third-order effects that are preventing me from switching residency (car registration, voting, etc.) And I have no idea how long the Air Force will keep me here. I could move again in 6 months or in 3 years.

Yes, getting an IL driver's license remains an option... but not my preferred one if avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    It's the second- and third-order effects that are preventing me from switching residency (car registration, voting, etc.) And I have no idea how long the Air Force will keep me here. I could move again in 6 months or in 3 years.

Yes, getting an IL driver's license remains an option... but not my preferred one if avoidable.
    Well there is always container carry as a last resort.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Well there is always container carry as a last resort.
    Has "container carry" actually gained traction and credibility? I understand the logic and letter of the law, but am skeptical it will be recognized and upheld by most LEOs.

An arrest and charges, even if dismissed, could make life very unpleasant for a military member.

In regards to LEO's, you may beat the rap but can't beat the ride; meaning you may be arrested and beat it in court. I would be highly hesitant to push a fanny pack as a container, as some people have suggested and don't know of any case law to prove or disprove that a fanny pack is a container, however (I am not a lawyer) I think console carry has been upheld. I am trying to find the case name, but haven't had my morning coffee yet.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Rep Costello is trying to fix this for military members stationed in Illinois and has submitted a bill that is gaining support. The change is simple: allow a military ID to be used for the application in place of an IL Driver's License.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=85&GA=98

Hopefully this will find its way to a favorable vote in both houses.

I hope it gets approved. I would think that nobody would vote against the military, but I am sure there will be some who do. Watching closely.
    -Thomas

I hope it gets approved. I would think that nobody would vote against the military, but I am sure there will be some who do. Watching closely.
    Yep, lots of steps ahead... get it into committee, to the floor, onto the Senate, and to the governor. It could be derailed at any stage. But I'm an optimist and am hopeful this bill will see success this year.

The Illinois law states if you have a permit in your home state you can carry armed, locked and loaded in the confines of your car. You just have to unload your weapon if your going to get out of the vehicle with it and store it in the trunk, or as I understood from reading the law, place it in a locked container while still in your car and leave it inside without exiting the car with it.

Well, maybe not necessary to put it in a locked container, but I wouldn't leave my weapon unsecure.... I'll have to re-read the law on that.

And me personally, if I get arrested, I'll sue the officer and the department for false arrest for that officer NOT knowing I was authorized to carry.

Military - residency status for CCW license?

Quote Originally Posted by Steon View Post
    The Illinois law states if you have a permit in your home state you can carry armed, locked and loaded in the confines of your car. You just have to unload your weapon if your going to get out of the vehicle with it and store it in the trunk, or as I understood from reading the law, place it in a locked container while still in your car and leave it inside without exiting the car with it.

Well, maybe not necessary to put it in a locked container, but I wouldn't leave my weapon unsecure.... I'll have to re-read the law on that.

And me personally, if I get arrested, I'll sue the officer and the department for false arrest for that officer NOT knowing I was authorized to carry.
    I've been car-carrying since shortly after the law was first published in July.

I initially had some doubt as to whether or not I would be considered a non-resident per section 40 since I've lived here for much longer than 30 days.

But when the ISP wouldn't let me apply for a CCL due to not holding an IL driver's license, that left no room for doubt. I car carry every chance I get now, especially when driving into a more "friendly" state like Missouri.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast