Military - residency status for CCW license? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Military - residency status for CCW license?

1. Has there been any update to this issue? I'm in the same boat... active duty military with a FOID and an out of state DL.

Military - residency status for CCW license?

The legislation introduced last year never made it out of committee, and with the new General Assembly, all old bills are dead. A whole slew of new legislation to address 2A issues (many pro, some anti) are now in the queue. I expect to see something similar introduced again this session.

Also note there is a lawsuit underway in Federal court, led by the Second Amendment Foundation, regarding Illinois' refusal to issue licenses to non-residents of all but four states. The lead plaintiff is an active duty military member. Original complaint was filed in Oct 2014 and the defendants (State Attorney General and the Illinois State Police) provided their response to the complaint last week. Unfortunately, these things take time to move through the legal system.

Public archive for the lawsuit is accessible here, with links to relevant documents:
    http://ia801404.us.archive.org/27/it...10.docket.html

You can track the status of 2A-related bills here:
    http://www.illinoisgunbills.com

I hope this helps!

A new bill was introduced in the Illinois Senate on Friday that would allow military members and spouses to apply for a license as residents:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstat...3&SessionID=88

More than a year has passed since my last update. We're making progress and things are looking much more promising this session. Anticipate a vote in the full Illinois Senate this week, and I'm optimistic about support in the House.

SB553 is the bill to watch. Those in Illinois, please call your state Senator!

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of SB0553

The Illinois Senate just passed it. Now to the House... where we are cautiously optimistic.

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB0553

Congrats to all the service men and women trapped in Madiganistan!

Senate will likely pass it, fingers crossed for you guys and gals in the BDU's.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Despite a 53 to 1 favorable passage in the Senate, the House didn't get to this bill before the close of the session at midnight last night, reportedly due to a technical error in scheduling.

There is still hope it could move this summer.

I have very high hopes it will be called up for vote in the Summer.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Military - residency status for CCW license?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagogunsmith View Post
    I have very high hopes it will be called up for vote in the Summer.
    I had the same hopes, but the Spring session is now over and it never made it to the floor of the House. Next chance is during the Fall veto session in November.

Hopefully we'll see success with the lawsuit now before the 7th circuit. That appears to be the only way to get anything done in this state.

The only problem with scheduling a bill is the Speaker of the House or the Senator Leader doesn't schedule it. They are the gatekeepers of all bill that go to the floor.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast