Military - residency status for CCW license?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military - residency status for CCW license?

Military - residency status for CCW license?

I'm an active duty AF member (PA resident) stationed in IL. I was able to get a FOID card, although not necessary, essentially categorized as a resident for that purpose.

Does anyone know how the new CCW law will apply to military members? Will I qualify for resident status?

Thanks!
    Kwc

3. Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    I'm an active duty AF member (PA resident) stationed in IL. I was able to get a FOID card, although not necessary, essentially categorized as a resident for that purpose.

Does anyone know how the new CCW law will apply to military members? Will I qualify for resident status?

Thanks!
    Kwc
    For the legal, binding answer I would check with your base legal department.

The internet version is as follows; Having spent 20 years active duty moving from coast to coast, usually you will be treated as a resident of whatever state you are stationed in, thus the resident rules apply. Due to the gravity of this issue however, I would check with base legal to be on the safe side.

Also, unless you have a huge bank account, I would join USCCA and purchase one of their insurance policies for firearm defense costs. Cheap insurance should you need it, peace of mind if you don't.

Remember, if you shoot/kill someone in Illinois, you ARE going to jail first. Unless you are politically connected, then it is a maybe.....

Thanks, Popeye2. I've been in the Air Force 24 years so far and have found that to be the case, too. I guess I'll find out whether or not IL classifies me as a resident when I apply for a CCW license, unless the State Police is able to clarify this sooner.

The new IL law also allows residents of other states who hold a CCW license in their home state to carry a handgun in a vehicle. I ASSUME that will apply to me as PA resident (once I get my license to carry from PA). I'll be legal driving through IL by holding my PA license, and in states that neighbor IL via FL non-resident CCW license.

Regards,
    Kwc

5. Thanks for your service. I retired from USN [aviation] in 1989. Should have 'jumped ship' at/around the 14 year mark and went to the USAF. Oh well.
    Assume you are at Scott.

Thank you, Popeye2. And thank you for your service, too!

I entered AD in 1989 and am now on my 10th assignment. You are correct--I'm at Scott AFB. We are enjoying it here.

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post

Thanks!
    Kwc
    From what I've heard you have plenty of time to figure it out. They still need to come up with the required 16hr training, then certify people to teach it. If you can save $5-10 dollars out of each paycheck, by the time they figure it out you will have enough saved to pay the exhorbitant fee. Of course, by that time you should be ready to transfer...
    Chief

8. I expect that if they have issued you a FOID, they will be willing to accept your application for a resident carry permit AFTER you have jumped thru all the hoops they erected as barriers. Your PA permit may have to be NON-resident, however, as (acording to your orders assigning you "permanently" to Scott AFB, IL) you do not LIVE in PA. If you start putting Franklins in the "Swear Jar" now that should just about cover your expenses all the way up thru actually turning in your permit application.

Since I'm a permanent resident of PA (driver's license, home of record, and voter registration are all there--and I pay PA taxes), I was able to obtain a PA permit this week during my visit.

I called the IL State Police Firearms Services Bureau today and Annette assured me that IL would offer resident permits to military members stationed within the state who are not IL residents. We'll see if that comes to fruition.

Thank you,
    Kwc

As a follow-up for those interested, Illinois is not currently allowing non-resident active duty military members stationed on orders within the state to apply for a resident concealed carry license. Obtaining a resident CCL requires an IL driver's license or IL state ID.

To make matters worse, the non-resident applicant's state must have concealed carry laws "substantially similar" to those of Illinois. There is only one state on that list so far... Hawaii. I would be surprised if PA EVER makes the list since they don't even require evidence of training to obtain their carry license.

Yikes. I've lived here in IL for 2+ years (during this tour) and may never be able to obtain an IL CCL. Seriously bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    As a follow-up for those interested, Illinois is not currently allowing non-resident active duty military members stationed on orders within the state to apply for a resident concealed carry license. Obtaining a resident CCL requires an IL driver's license or IL state ID.

To make matters worse, the non-resident applicant's state must have concealed carry laws "substantially similar" to those of Illinois. There is only one state on that list so far... Hawaii. I would be surprised if PA EVER makes the list since they don't even require evidence of training to obtain their carry license.

Yikes. I've lived here in IL for 2+ years (during this tour) and may never be able to obtain an IL CCL. Seriously bummed.
    Yeah it sucks, and don't be surprised if there aren't law suits challenging this.

But if you think you are sticking around here for any length of time, why not get an IL DL? That would solve the residency issue.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast