Just passing through
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just passing through

Just passing through

Hello everyone I tried to search for the answer before posting so I apologize if this topic has been covered. I am a PA resident with a carry permit and a FL out of state permit. I'm driving from PA out West and looking at the map Illinois does not honor my permits from PA and FL. My question is can I unload my hand gun and lock it up while driving through the state? Does anyone know the laws on this? I'm just driving through not staying overnight.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Joe

3. Leave it in the trunk,,,

The new Illinois law does not seem to affect "travelers", but ...... I would lock it in a safe and make it "inaccessible" :)

Ok thanks I'll be sure to unload it and lock it up when passing through. I need to see if its the same for Nevada and California.

Thanks for the help

Goolge FOPA
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I have PA res and FL non-res also, but live in IL on active duty military orders. PA is my state of residency.

I spoke to Annette at the IL State Police Firearms Service Bureau this afternoon on this issue. According to her, with a valid CCW permit from your home state (any state!):

- You may drive with a loaded handgun on your person or in your vehicle. This law is in effect NOW.

- If you exit the vehicle, you may NOT take the loaded weapon with you since IL does not have reciprocity with any state. Secure it in your vehicle out of sight and inaccessible. I intend to use a locked and chained Microvault safe to store mine.

Hope this helps!

Kwc

Thank you for the information and thank you for your service.

There is a Federal Law on the books that is specific for your situation. It allows any firearm owner safe passage through any state as long as you are leaving a place you are allowed to carry and arriving at a place you are allowed to carry. It is 18 USc 926A. Of course some states are more lenient than this law allows and as you have found out with some states, you are able to carry on your person as you pass through. IL has just gone through some major revamping of their carry laws and I would search them to see if they are now more lenient than the Federal Code allows.

18 U.S.C. 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    I have PA res and FL non-res also, but live in IL on active duty military orders. PA is my state of residency.

I spoke to Annette at the IL State Police Firearms Service Bureau this afternoon on this issue. According to her, with a valid CCW permit from your home state (any state!):

- You may drive with a loaded handgun on your person or in your vehicle. This law is in effect NOW.

- If you exit the vehicle, you may NOT take the loaded weapon with you since IL does not have reciprocity with any state. Secure it in your vehicle out of sight and inaccessible. I intend to use a locked and chained Microvault safe to store mine.

Hope this helps!

Kwc
    I have not heard this about IL. Do you have any linked cites to go by?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Wolf_fire,

Read section 40(e) in the signed legislation here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf

You may also want to call the Firearms Services Bureau if you need further clarification.

Regards,
    Kwc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast