Illinois will issue to nonresidents, but only of certain states - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Illinois will issue to nonresidents, but only of certain states

Interesting statement. The problem may be that, as a resident of VT, I have absolutely no paperwork, no liscence, no addition to my drivers liscence, nothing. I can see where a state that has CC liscences, could pick me up and say that I'm carrying illegally. There is no provision where I can get any sort of state or county paperwork to say "he's OK". If I live here, and no criminal record, I can carry. Local and state Leos don't even ask. Thats why it's called "Constitutional Carry". The 2A guarantees my right to bear arms. Other states just don't see it that way.

"If you like your president, you can keep your president"

That didn't even cross my mind. I doubt that my home state of Alabama has criteria satisfactory to Illinois, but what about the criteria required for my Utah, Florida, Maine, Connecticut, Arizona, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire permits? Several of those states require live fire and minimum hours of training; Utah also requires study of self-defense laws.

Very good info. The 8 hours for the NRA Basic Pistol can apparently be in a state other than Illinois. I assume that's what they are calling Phase 1. So does Phase 2 training require travel to Illinois, or if, say, you're a certified NRA instructor, do you still need more hours?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    Very good info. The 8 hours for the NRA Basic Pistol can apparently be in a state other than Illinois. I assume that's what they are calling Phase 1. So does Phase 2 training require travel to Illinois, or if, say, you're a certified NRA instructor, do you still need more hours?
    I think, similar to UT, IL is certifying instructors that can be used.

Illinois will be be like NY and CA and never recognize any other states CCL. IL will be to greedy and want the $300 per person for the Non-resident CCL.

My understanding is that Vermont does not require or have a permit. you can carry concealed or open freely.

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    My understanding is that Vermont does not require or have a permit. you can carry concealed or open freely.
    Damn straight pardner! God I love the bastion of gun freedom called Vermont!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

My daughter lives in Chicago, so naturally I planned to apply for an IL nonresident permit.

However:

"The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident license applications from any state or territory of the United States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act."

Further: "IL will put out a list of states that have laws similar to theirs that they will issue Non-Resident Permits to."

Does anyone know what requirements Illinois requires be "substantially similar"? Is this stipulation a back-door scheme to avoid issuing to nonresidents? Or does it simply mean that if you had to take a class to get your home state permit, Illinois might honor that training?

Anybody have any details on this?

Thanks.
    Substantially similiar has now been defined, well almost anyways. A recent ammendment to the Illinois Carry concealed law which passed the house and senate and is on govs desk for approval reads as such:

"Substantially Similar" means the comparable state regulates who may carry
    132 firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; prohibits all who have involuntary
    133 mental health admissions or voluntary within the past 5 years from carrying
    134 firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; reports denied persons to NICS; and
    135 participates in reporting persons authorized to carry firearms, concealed or
    136 otherwise, in public through NLETs.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

You do not need to travel to Illinois, an Illinois Certified instructor may travel to your state. I am willing to travel out of state if you want to put something together. Feel free to email me and we can talk.

You will need an NRA BP or PPITH PPOTH cert to be exempt from 8 of the 16 hours of training. Or you will need to apply for ISP CCI status with your NRA Instructor cert. If you are an ISP certified CCI, you automatically qualify for Illinois CCL. However your NRA Instructor cert on its' own does not qualify you for your CCL. Make sense?

In short, as of right now unless you become an Illinois Carry Concealed Instructor you will still need 8 hours of training.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Quote Originally Posted by chicagogunsmith View Post
    "Substantially Similar" means the comparable state regulates who may carry
    132 firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; prohibits all who have involuntary
    133 mental health admissions or voluntary within the past 5 years from carrying
    134 firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; reports denied persons to NICS; and
    135 participates in reporting persons authorized to carry firearms, concealed or
    136 otherwise, in public through NLETs.
    So it's good they are not requiring training to be considered "substantially similar"....but what is NLET?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast