3 Illinois Counties To weigh In On Concealed Guns

Thread: 3 Illinois Counties To weigh In On Concealed Guns

3 Illinois Counties To weigh In On Concealed Guns

Voters in three central Illinois counties will have the chance Nov. 4 to let Springfield know what they think about the rights of citizens to carry concealed firearms.

Ballots in Woodford, LaSalle and McDonough counties will feature a referendum that asks whether the state should enact so-called "concealed-carry" legislation.

The referendum, however, is advisory only. Voters will not be deciding whether individual counties should adopt those rights, but whether state legislators should bring the issue to a vote.

Advocates of the legislation say such a law is long overdue in Illinois, one of only two states that haven't passed some form of the statute.

"The purpose of the referendum is to send a message to legislators in Springfield that they need to get this passed in Illinois and join all the other states," said Valinda Rowe, a southern Illinois resident who is spokeswoman for Illinois Carry, a Web site dedicated to advancing the issue.

"What is completely legal and normal in 48 other states is a felony in Illinois," she said.

The Illinois State Rifle Association also supports the referendum, though Executive Director Richard Pearson has said the referendum has limited potential, as it is advisory only.

Rowe said she has a nonresident license to carry a concealed weapon in Florida and that it is honored in 27 other states. But before she comes home to Illinois, she must unload and pack her firearm into a case and store it in the trunk - or risk being arrested for a felony.

Concealed-carry legislation in Illinois would streamline the law with all other states except Wisconsin and eliminate confusion for travelers who are trained and licensed to carry concealed firearms, advocates say.

Rowe said she first became interested in such a law several years ago when she sought a way to protect herself from a mentally ill family member who was threatening her. At the time, less than 30 states had enacted the laws, a figure that has steadily risen since then.

Neither the State Rifle Association nor Illinois Carry has a role in the referendum that will appear on ballots in 14 counties throughout the state in November.

County Board members in Winnebago County earlier this year decided to craft their own referendum to send a message to Springfield and mailed letters to all other 101 counties in the state asking them to do the same.

Relatively few responded, though Rowe said the timing of the letter prevented some counties from acting on the request before the deadline for referendums to be voted onto the general election ballot.

Source: PJ Star
    Last edited by lukem; 10-19-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Concealed Weapon Question

Should people be allowed to carry concealed weapons?

It's a question voters in Woodford, Lasalle and McDonough counties will be asked when they head to the polls next month.

Ballots in those three counties will feature a referendum asking voters if they support a "concealed carry" law.

The referendum is only an advisory, so voters won't actually be deciding the new law.

However, their input will determine if lawmakers will bring the issue up for a vote in the future.

Source: HOINews

Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Right to Carry Town Hall Set

HARRISBURG--Voters in 14 Illinois counties will have a chance to voice their opinion on the right to carry debate. Four of them are right here in southern Illinois.

On November fourth, voters in Union, Saline, Franklin, Jefferson counties will be asked if they think lawmakers should adopt legislation to permit people to carry a concealed firearm.

Valinda Rowe with Illinois Carry dot com appeared on News 3 This Morning, and says, yes they should.

"I have a Florida non resident concealed carry permit. Went through the training, through the FBI background check, the finger print check, everything to qualify for the license, that license is recognized in 27 different states."

Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two states that do not allow residents the right to carry. Valinda says it's a concern whenever she travels.

"I can not carry a firearm to protect myself here in the state of Illinois, but once I leave the state, those 27 other states trust me to carry a firearm and protect myself and my family with, but when I get to the state line, I have to stop, unload my firearm case it out and potentially render myself a victim in order to come back home to the state of Illinois."

Rowe will join others at a town hall meeting Tuesday night to discuss the referendum that will ask voters in several counties here if they support Right to Carry legislation. That meeting is at the Lions Club in Harrisburg and begins at 6:30 p.m.

"We're inviting anyone and everyone. If they have questions or concerns, this is the place to find the answers to those concerns. We'll have qualified people there to address the issues and where we're wanting to go with this."

by Kevin Hunsperger
    [email protected]

Source: WSIL TV