IL CCL - Change to list of approved states
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IL CCL - Change to list of approved states

IL CCL - Change to list of approved states

For anyone interested in obtaining a nonresident concealed carry license (CCL) in Illinois, be advised the list of approved states (those deemed "substantially similar") has changed.

Previously, only residents of Virginia, Hawaii, New Mexico, or South Carolina with a license from their home states could apply to obtain an Illinois license, if they are willing to take the required 16-hour training, pay a $300 fee, etc.

As of today, the list of states changed. Residents of Hawaii, New Mexico, and South Carolina no longer qualify. The new list consists of Virginia (retained from before), Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas.

I don't know what will happen to current IL CCL licensees from NM and SC (there are none from Hawaii). Illinois has a practice of cancelling licenses when a resident moves to another state, so these folks may have their 5-year license term cut short. So much for the $300 fee!

Illinois is on the NOT list for my state.

My state does NOT recognize their LCT.

Their state does NOT recognize mine either.

4. Non-residents taking class in Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    For anyone interested in obtaining a nonresident concealed carry license (CCL) in Illinois, be advised the list of approved states (those deemed "substantially similar") has changed.

Previously, only residents of Virginia, Hawaii, New Mexico, or South Carolina with a license from their home states could apply to obtain an Illinois license, if they are willing to take the required 16-hour training, pay a $300 fee, etc.

As of today, the list of states changed. Residents of Hawaii, New Mexico, and South Carolina no longer qualify. The new list consists of Virginia (retained from before), Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas.

I don't know what will happen to current IL CCL licensees from NM and SC (there are none from Hawaii). Illinois has a practice of cancelling licenses when a resident moves to another state, so these folks may have their 5-year license term cut short. So much for the $300 fee!
    Does anyone know if non-residents of neighboring states can apply if they travel to Illinois to take a certified class?

Quote Originally Posted by jagibb6060 View Post
    Does anyone know if non-residents of neighboring states can apply if they travel to Illinois to take a certified class?
    Do Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas or Virginia border Illinois?

Now we know what happens to the residents of the formerly substantially similar states: the Illinois State Police are revoking their licenses.

See Gary Slider's update in the "Non-Resident Permit" section of his Illinois page.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

$300 for at most 2 years of use out of those licenses... wow.

7. Where are you guys getting this info?

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Where are you guys getting this info?
    handgunlaw.us is pretty up to date with changes in the law. I usually only keep track of my own state's legislature and follow some other gun blogs, such as TTAG. Every time I travel to another state, though, I check with handgunlaw.us first to familiarize myself with the state's law and its latest changes, even if I have just been to that state a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Where are you guys getting this info?
    Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau Website- The ISP doesn't tell you, you just gotta look from time to time.

Illinois Carry Forum - a great online community of gun rights activists in Illinois. Some have connections with the ISP and legislature and get thrown notices and warnings here and there.

HandgunLaw.us a great resource that any gun owner should be keenly aware of.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    handgunlaw.us is pretty up to date with changes in the law. I usually only keep track of my own state's legislature and follow some other gun blogs, such as TTAG. Every time I travel to another state, though, I check with handgunlaw.us first to familiarize myself with the state's law and its latest changes, even if I have just been to that state a few months ago.
    In my opinion TTAG is a rag. I don't trust it. Many of their headlines are misleading hyperbole and from time to time I have read articles where I wasn't sure if the author was making an argument pro gun or anti gun.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Quote Originally Posted by chicagogunsmith View Post
    In my opinion TTAG is a rag. I don't trust it. Many of their headlines are misleading hyperbole and from time to time I have read articles where I wasn't sure if the author was making an argument pro gun or anti gun.
    Can you cite an example?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast