Illinois Showdown looms on gun control - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Showdown looms on gun control

From news reports I've read rural Dems are catching a lot of heat over IL not having a right to carry statute. They're passing that heat on to party leaders in both houses.

Essentially, they're demanding a floor vote, something the Dem leadership has traditionally avoided.

Don't know if it will pass with the needed majorities, but if recent opponent statements are any indication I think they fear it might.

On Second Thought.

We all know Illinois is strapped for cash, might they use CCW as a source of revenue and pass for that reason? there are 1.3 million FOID card holders, how many would apply for a CCW?

I read the bill and it will cost $100 for the first time you get the license which will only last for three years then $75 for a renewal, add to that a $25 fee for a new license if you change your address or lose your license. You also have to go through training which will cost around $100, the state gets $25 for each student from the state certified trainer. There is also a $10 fee for being fingerprinted.

Could Illinois make some money on this, or do the politicians think it can?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    We all know Illinois is strapped for cash, might they use CCW as a source of revenue and pass for that reason? there are 1.3 million FOID card holders, how many would apply for a CCW?

I read the bill and it will cost $100 for the first time you get the license which will only last for three years then $75 for a renewal, add to that a $25 fee for a new license if you change your address or lose your license. You also have to go through training which will cost around $100, the state gets $25 for each student from the state certified trainer. There is also a $10 fee for being fingerprinted.

Could Illinois make some money on this, or do the politicians think it can?
    that has been used as an argument...

there are 12,910,409 people in illinois... so thats about 10% of the state has a FOID card... will all of them get a license right away no... there are those that have FOID's but dont own or shoot.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Hatchet
    I was not just asking if Illinois could make money off of CCW, I was also asking what was going through the politician's minds. Did they somehow think that CCW would be a money maker for the state?
    We all know that when government sets out to do something they usually do a miserable job of it and end up losing money, (the post office, public transportation, etc. etc.). Even with their track record of losing programs they still think they can make money better than the private sector.
    This answers my first question, "Could Illinois make some money on this". No they couldn't. The second question, "do the politicians think it can" is still open for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    Hatchet
    I was not just asking if Illinois could make money off of CCW, I was also asking what was going through the politician's minds. Did they somehow think that CCW would be a money maker for the state?
    We all know that when government sets out to do something they usually do a miserable job of it and end up losing money, (the post office, public transportation, etc. etc.). Even with their track record of losing programs they still think they can make money better than the private sector.
    This answers my first question, "Could Illinois make some money on this". No they couldn't. The second question, "do the politicians think it can" is still open for debate.
    ahhh gotcha... mis read... well we shall see how tuesday turns out and see if it gets out of committee..
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    ahhh gotcha... mis read... well we shall see how tuesday turns out and see if it gets out of committee..
    No you did not misread, I was in a rush and was not perfectly clear, My fault entirely.

8. I think it made it out... am i right?

yes it made it out of committee with a 12-2 vote...

Burke and Flowers voted no... dont know who didnt vote...

3/8/2011 House Do Pass / Short Debate Agriculture & Conservation Committee; 012-002-000
    3/9/2011 House Placed on Calendar 2nd Reading - Short Debate
    3/9/2011 House Fiscal Note Requested by Rep. Harry Osterman
    3/9/2011 House Balanced Budget Note Requested by Rep. Harry Osterman
    3/9/2011 House Home Rule Note Requested by Rep. Harry Osterman

37 sponsors now...

10. So what happens now? I mean, when will the "big" vote happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Aces13 View Post
    So what happens now? I mean, when will the "big" vote happen?
    its been placed for 2nd reading, but hasnt been called to the floor yet. which will be a hit or miss on when they do that. after the 3rd reading there will be a floor vote in which we need atleast 71 yay's...

i'll keep this updated for those that dont follow, as soon as i know i'll post it here...

call your reps and senators... even if it falls on deaf ears

illinoiscarry.com does keep a very close watch on everything that goes on in the house and senate. we have a huge list of good and bads that we are watching...

house doesnt come back till the 15th, senate will be back on the 14th for a pm session...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast