15 yr old MDV...moving forward

Thread: 15 yr old MDV...moving forward

1. 15 yr old MDV...moving forward

Let me start by apologizing if this has been discussed prior as I didn't see a previous post. I'm 35 now and 15 yrs ago I waived my right to a trial and plead guilty to misdemeanor domestic violence and a I think 2 counts of misdemeanor battery.

I had no police report or anything on my side of this matter. I was wrong but believe it to be overstated on their part. Basically I lived with my girlfriend and we were breaking up, it was not good, childish basically.

Anyways her father and brother basically were threatening me. The father grabbed my arm and I yanked it away and pushed him back. Next the ex grabbed our kitten and I reached for it but she pulled away. Then I grabbed her arm and went to pry it away and her brother jumped on my back to which I peeled him off and punched him in the eye ending it.

Cops were called and I went to jail. My father and friend are avid shooters and hunters and I am wanting to join in with them but as you can see I cannot own a firearm.

I've spoken with one attorney and he says basically I need a pardon from a review board and its $1500.00 to do this from him with no guarantee. I told him of the situation and that I have never been in trouble since in any form except for a speeding ticket. I've since gone on to college, obtained a degree and graduate with honors (graduated in 2000).

Does anyone have any experience in a similar matter or if this is a futile attempt or even if the quoted $1500.00 for this is reasonable?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FtWphil View Post
    Let me start by apologizing if this has been discussed prior as I didn't see a previous post. I'm 35 now and 15 yrs ago I waived my right to a trial and plead guilty to misdemeanor domestic violence and a I think 2 counts of misdemeanor battery.

I had no police report or anything on my side of this matter. I was wrong but believe it to be overstated on their part. Basically I lived with my girlfriend and we were breaking up, it was not good, childish basically.

Anyways her father and brother basically were threatening me. The father grabbed my arm and I yanked it away and pushed him back. Next the ex grabbed our kitten and I reached for it but she pulled away. Then I grabbed her arm and went to pry it away and her brother jumped on my back to which I peeled him off and punched him in the eye ending it.

Cops were called and I went to jail. My father and friend are avid shooters and hunters and I am wanting to join in with them but as you can see I cannot own a firearm.

I've spoken with one attorney and he says basically I need a pardon from a review board and its $1500.00 to do this from him with no guarantee. I told him of the situation and that I have never been in trouble since in any form except for a speeding ticket. I've since gone on to college, obtained a degree and graduate with honors (graduated in 2000).

Does anyone have any experience in a similar matter or if this is a futile attempt or even if the quoted $1500.00 for this is reasonable?

Thanks.
    Well congrats for maturing and doing so well. I think a judge would take all into consideration.
    I do not think $1500 is too much to straighten this out, it's worth it.
    Having said that since there is no guarantee for your $$$ I would do some leg work and find a good criminal attorney or one that may have experience with a case like yours to increase your odds at success for your hard earned money.
    Good luck and hope you follow up. Let us know.

4. I've sat down and talked with an attorney. He's pulled my file and given the circumstances, time since offense, and other factors sees no reason why it couldn't be expunged.

There is no guarantee but given his experience in these things (he's done more than a few of these) he sees no reason as to why it wouldn't go through. Stranger things have happened before. Actually the charges were not going to be pursued but the state decided to pick them up...guess they know a cash cow when they see one.

I'm tired of this stigma following me around, and am hoping for the best. I want to get my first deer this year...and possibly a turkey!

diferent but the same, my brother in law received a speeding ticket when he was 17, during hunting season. he had a hunting knife on the back seat floor, when the cop asked if he had any weapons he said no as his gun and hunting stuff was at home but the knife had fallen out and was left on the floor. to shorten he ended up with a weapons charge, fast forward 17 years, $1700 later and 2 days in front of a review board. 1 for questions about 3 hours and 1 for their results. he is now eligable to take his cpl class.