lifetime out of state
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: lifetime out of state

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    jacksonville, nc
    Posts
    3

    lifetime out of state

    im a marine in north carolina and i've been researching the laws on concealed carry but im still unclear on certain things. im originally from indiana and will be moving back there at the end of my 2nd enlistment and was wondering if i currently live in north carolina and will be here for a few more years, would i still be able to get a permit from indiana because im military or would i have to get a north carolina permit and tranfer it when i move back to indiana?

  2.   
  3. That's a good question and I know that someone will answer your question but I was born where you station.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by mechhead View Post
    im a marine in north carolina and i've been researching the laws on concealed carry but im still unclear on certain things. im originally from indiana and will be moving back there at the end of my 2nd enlistment and was wondering if i currently live in north carolina and will be here for a few more years, would i still be able to get a permit from indiana because im military or would i have to get a north carolina permit and tranfer it when i move back to indiana?
    What state have you declared as your state of residence? If it's IN, then you get that permit. If it is NC, then get that one. The cool thing is they share reciprocity with one another.

    Now what I'm telling you is what I think I remember from being active duty over 20 years ago. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    What state have you declared as your state of residence? If it's IN, then you get that permit. If it is NC, then get that one. The cool thing is they share reciprocity with one another.

    Now what I'm telling you is what I think I remember from being active duty over 20 years ago. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.
    For what it's worth, I think you're right... but I don't know for sure either since I wasn't worried about that while I was in.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

  6. Quote Originally Posted by mechhead View Post
    im a marine in north carolina and i've been researching the laws on concealed carry but im still unclear on certain things. im originally from indiana and will be moving back there at the end of my 2nd enlistment and was wondering if i currently live in north carolina and will be here for a few more years, would i still be able to get a permit from indiana because im military or would i have to get a north carolina permit and tranfer it when i move back to indiana?
    You can find the NC end of things here (as well as some Marine-specific info) at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf . Look in the Non-Resident section. Appears to me that if you now have an IN Lifetime license you can keeep it. Otherwise check into what handgunlaw.us has for links on the IN page.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    What state have you declared as your state of residence? If it's IN, then you get that permit. If it is NC, then get that one. The cool thing is they share reciprocity with one another.

    Now what I'm telling you is what I think I remember from being active duty over 20 years ago. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.
    It's as Wolf_fire says. Which State do you pay State taxes to? Which State's Driver's License is in your wallet? Which State's License Plates are on your car? Which State is on your DD214? That is your State of Record. Get that States Handgun License/Permit.
    Last edited by Steon; 04-05-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added DD-214
    9 of the 56 Signers of the Declaration of Independence were known Freemasons! - William Ellery, RI; Benjamin Franklin, PA; John Hancock, MA ; Joseph Hewes, NC; William Hooper, NC; Robert Treat Paine, MA; Richard Stockton, NJ; George Walton, GA; William Whipple, NH

  8. #7
    1. It appears as if you must apply in person in Indiana:

    ISP: Firearms Permit Application Process

    Step 3: Bring your Application Number to your local law enforcement agency for approval and local fee payment.
    2. It will still be against Federal law for you to carry a loaded firearm in public within 1000' of a school in North Carolina without a North Carolina permit.

    3. If you want to purchase firearms in North Carolina you are going to need a North Carolina purchase permit anyway, so you might just as well get the North Carolina concealed carry permit which satisfies the requirement.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    1. It appears as if you must apply in person in Indiana:

    ISP: Firearms Permit Application Process



    2. It will still be against Federal law for you to carry a loaded firearm in public within 1000' of a school in North Carolina without a North Carolina permit.

    3. If you want to purchase firearms in North Carolina you are going to need a North Carolina purchase permit anyway, so you might just as well get the North Carolina concealed carry permit which satisfies the requirement.
    You fill out the application online.
    You go to a Morpho Trust site for the Fingerprinting.

    I don't know if it's possible, but then I'm not in NC wanting to do it, but you might be able to go to one of the neighboring states like SC or TN to a Morpho Trust Site there. You can call them and ask if they can take fingerprints for IN when / if you go to book an appointment.
    Last edited by Steon; 04-09-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added link to IN Morpho site.
    9 of the 56 Signers of the Declaration of Independence were known Freemasons! - William Ellery, RI; Benjamin Franklin, PA; John Hancock, MA ; Joseph Hewes, NC; William Hooper, NC; Robert Treat Paine, MA; Richard Stockton, NJ; George Walton, GA; William Whipple, NH

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Steon View Post
    You fill out the application online.
    You go to a Morpho Trust site for the Fingerprinting.

    I don't know if it's possible, but then I'm not in NC wanting to do it, but you might be able to go to one of the neighboring states like SC or TN to a Morpho Trust Site there. You can call them and ask if they can take fingerprints for IN when / if you go to book an appointment.
    Bah.... I forgot all about that pesky local fee at the local law enforcement agency... I don't even know why it's still there. They used to have us go there for the fingerprinting and turn in the paper forms.... Now it's like... Why bother?
    9 of the 56 Signers of the Declaration of Independence were known Freemasons! - William Ellery, RI; Benjamin Franklin, PA; John Hancock, MA ; Joseph Hewes, NC; William Hooper, NC; Robert Treat Paine, MA; Richard Stockton, NJ; George Walton, GA; William Whipple, NH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast