Concealed carry while consuming alcohol? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry while consuming alcohol?

1. Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    I have yet to find any state that will allow you to carry and drink. Even if one state did allow it, I do not believe sane person on this site would ever support such a stupid law. The only ones on this site who may support such a law would be the "trolls" who do all they can to disrupt and twist things we say.

I would have to ask you, "Why would you ever WANT to drink and carry?" You have only one post and you start a thread like this! You are in real danger of being labeled a "Troll"!
    Washington has no law against carrying a firearm under the influence of alcohol, which is exactly the way it should be. Laws very seldom have laws that define what is illegal. 99% of laws define what is illegal. Why should there be a law against carrying a firearm when under the influence of alcohol when there are already laws in place that make it illegal to discharge a firearm in public (except in self defense) and laws against threatening people with a firearm? To have a law against the mere possession of a firearm while under the influence would be similar to enacting a law against possessing car keys while in a bar or under the influence, which would be stupid. If I am having dinner with my family, I have no issues at all having a couple beers with dinner. If I can't keep my hands off my gun after a couple than I probably should not be carrying it to begin with.

Why would I want to drink and carry? Simple... I enjoy a drink with dinner. Why should I give up my right to self protection in order to have a drink with dinner?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Washington has no law against carrying a firearm under the influence of alcohol, which is exactly the way it should be. Laws very seldom have laws that define what is illegal. 99% of laws define what is illegal. Why should there be a law against carrying a firearm when under the influence of alcohol when there are already laws in place that make it illegal to discharge a firearm in public (except in self defense) and laws against threatening people with a firearm? To have a law against the mere possession of a firearm while under the influence would be similar to enacting a law against possessing car keys while in a bar or under the influence, which would be stupid. If I am having dinner with my family, I have no issues at all having a couple beers with dinner. If I can't keep my hands off my gun after a couple than I probably should not be carrying it to begin with.

Why would I want to drink and carry? Simple... I enjoy a drink with dinner. Why should I give up my right to self protection in order to have a drink with dinner?
    Whatever trips your trigger bud, but its still just not a good idea law or no law, personaly yes my wife and I do have a drink from time to time while carrying, and I prey nothing happens, years ago before we had permits and started carrying all the time, we did hang at bars, mostly biker bars and 50% of the dudes then were carrying and I doubt many of the had permits, but we started looking at the cost of a couple drinks vs buying more bullits, we bought more bullits, and all but quit going to bars, at the time you could buy 3 box's of 9mm for the price of 4 mixed drinks, this thread may have been started by a troll that just wanted to stir **** up, but in the event of you having to use your gun and even if it was 110% justfyed, the fact that alcohol was involved would definatly go against you
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Quote Originally Posted by jeff martin View Post
    You went from a general question to a specific situation, to which I ask, can't you go a couple hours without alcohol in order to keep yourself and family properly protected??

The Second Amendment protects All Rights!!
    If I can properly and legally drive my family and friends home after a drink or two, I can surely protect them with my firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff martin View Post
    Even small amounts of alcohol lowers inhibition which might have you using your firearm too soon or even make you more agressive and causing the problem!! Just a thought!!

Does alcohol make you more aggressive? Are you projecting your problem onto others, like me, who do not get aggressive when drinking?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Whatever trips your trigger bud, but its still just not a good idea law or no law, personaly yes my wife and I do have a drink from time to time while carrying, and I prey nothing happens, years ago before we had permits and started carrying all the time, we did hang at bars, mostly biker bars and 50% of the dudes then were carrying and I doubt many of the had permits, but we started looking at the cost of a couple drinks vs buying more bullits, we bought more bullits, and all but quit going to bars, at the time you could buy 3 box's of 9mm for the price of 4 mixed drinks, this thread may have been started by a troll that just wanted to stir **** up, but in the event of you having to use your gun and even if it was 110% justfyed, the fact that alcohol was involved would definatly go against you
    so you're trying to equate your illegal acts to what people can and will do legally. your financial issues are not and should not have any place in this kind of discussion

6. Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    I have yet to find any state that will allow you to carry and drink. Even if one state did allow it, I do not believe sane person on this site would ever support such a stupid law. The only ones on this site who may support such a law would be the "trolls" who do all they can to disrupt and twist things we say.

I would have to ask you, "Why would you ever WANT to drink and carry?" You have only one post and you start a thread like this! You are in real danger of being labeled a "Troll"!
    I have one post because I am new to this site. I posed the question in the INDIANA discussion forum so that I could possibly get an answer from somebody here as to the law so I could settle a discussion with a friend. I never said I was for or against it, I was simply asking if anybody new if it was written in the law. I'm in DANGER of being labeled a troll because I simply asked a question? You can call me a troll or whatever you feel like but your profile says you are from MN replying to a question from IN. Troll?

Quote Originally Posted by stagman View Post
    I have one post because I am new to this site. I posed the question in the INDIANA discussion forum so that I could possibly get an answer from somebody here as to the law so I could settle a discussion with a friend. I never said I was for or against it, I was simply asking if anybody new if it was written in the law. I'm in DANGER of being labeled a troll because I simply asked a question? You can call me a troll or whatever you feel like but your profile says you are from MN replying to a question from IN. Troll?
    A Google search consistently came up with Indiana residents saying there are no laws concerning carrying and drinking. It is legal to carry in restaurant and bars in Indiana:

What are the laws involving alcohol and carrying a concealed weapon in Indiana?
    We have found no Indiana state law that prohibits carrying a concealed weapons permit in a establishment that serves alcohol.

The only reference I could find in the IC is this:

IC 35-47-4-1
    Delivery of deadly weapon to intoxicated person
    Sec. 1. A person who sells, barters, gives, or delivers any deadly weapon to any person at the time in a state of intoxication, knowing him to be in a state of intoxication, or to any person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and knowing him to be a person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, commits a Class B misdemeanor

What is intoxicated? No definition, we can assume it's the bac for driving, but the officer can deem intoxicated based on someone's actions as well.

“One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Save this page, save those pdf's, it's your responsibility to know your states laws.

9. Quote Originally Posted by lostinataxi View Post
    Common sense would dictate to NOT drink and carry. Imagine you are impaired, even within the limits allowed by whatever state you reside in. Then imagine you have to make a snap judgement to use or not use your weapon in self defense. You may end up making the wrong decision and either end up dead or end up in jail and being "tested" for alcohol in your system. What do you think will happen next when they find you have ANY amount of alcohol in your system and you just killed someone or wounded someone, even if it was later determined to be a correct decision on your part? I'll tell you. You may or may not, depending on the place you live and the county attorney, be charged anyway. If you are "lucky" and aren't charged with a crime (due to being under the influence), you stand a HUGE chance of a civil lawsuit brought forth by the family of the deceased (or wounded). They will argue, rightly or not, that you are responsible. Are you prepared for that fight in court? Do you have the financial resources to retain an attorney and pay that attorney the tens of thousands of dollars it will cost to defend yourself, with the outcome totally uncertain? At the end, if things don't go your way, are you prepared to pay whatever the judge orders to the family of the deceased? For myself, even though I have a premium liability insurance policy, I've made the decision that if I really need a beer or drink, I'll do it at home, not in a bar or anywhere else. That beer or drink just isn't that important to yours truly. I'll have my diet coke please, if I really need to go out somewhere. That's just me though. Maybe it's my 60 years of being lucky to have stayed out of trouble that is talking here, but to me it's also just common sense stuff. Good luck to you though if you feel you must drink and carry anyway.
    I'm going to assume you have case law examples to back this up right?

As for drinking and carrying in and of itself I guess I got brainwashed early on by NRA hunter safety, I don't do it.
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

10. Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    Wasn't there another thread here months ago that turned into the same kind of pissing match?
    And there'll probably be another a couple months down the road
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

11. I only drink at home and very little at that!! Maybe you have the drinking problem!! I'm 56 yrs old and I've witnessed many people change after just a few drinks!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast