Indiana Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

open carry....?

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Click here to view.

Let me know if there is anything I missed.
    OPEN CARRY:
    Prohibited unless one possesses a recognized permit.

What exactly does this mean?

The simple explanation is that you cannot carry a handgun with you ANYWHERE except home from where you bought it or to/from where you're taking it to get it fixed unless you have a 'License to Carry a Handgun' - LTCH.

New to this site. Live here in Indiana. Have lifetime CCP. Always thought side arm had to be concealed in this state but buddy says you can carry in the open. Any idea when or if that rule changed?

The Indiana law doesn't specify open or concealed. The LTCH is a license, not a permit. It's required for any movement of your handgun outside your home or place of business unless you are on your way to or from a repair facility. Here's a thread over on INGO (Indiana Gun Owners forum):

INGO discussion of Indiana carry law

You can search over there for a lot of good info.

6. Quote Originally Posted by edge289 View Post
    OPEN CARRY:
    Prohibited unless one possesses a recognized permit.

What exactly does this mean?
    If you have a license in Indiana, it reads:

"License to carry Handgun"

That means concealed, open, and in vehicle.

Hope that helps.

-Wraith

7. That "INGO" thing is very correct.

Before I post anything, I make it a point to contact the "People in the Know", so I called the Indiana State Police.

All of those are true.

I carry a full sized, Gov't Colt .45 and "Condition One" is the only way I carry. (Not much use if I have to pull it out THEN jack a round into the chamber.) Besides with the hammer down, the hammer/ pin in sitting on a live round. God forbid I slip on the ice and it shoots me in the arse.

With Regards,
    -Wraith

I am always ready but to put a live round in while carrying.... Dumb
    in my opinion. If you are in the situation, it's not hard to rack one in.
    My opinion just being safe (I like my arse) lol

There is also a measure signed into law today that (with a few exceptions) no employer can restrict you from having a handgun locked in your car at work on your employers property. regardless of company policy or postings. However, this was just signed into law and I don't know about it until it has been tested in litigation when someones employer tries to challenge it.
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

10. Quote Originally Posted by edge289 View Post
    I am always ready but to put a live round in while carrying.... Dumb
    in my opinion. If you are in the situation, it's not hard to rack one in.
    My opinion just being safe (I like my arse) lol
    I don't consider it dumb for the weapon I carry. Remember, a .45 Colt Automatic is actually a single action weapon, even though it's called an "Auto". And it is the recommended/prefered way to carry the weapon.

Hammer/pin on a live round or cocked and locked? Personal preferance I suppose. And the .45 Colt has several safety features built into it that are made to carry it that way. I prefer cocked and locked, IMHO.

(I like my arse, too.)

-Wraith

11. Quote Originally Posted by DocBoCook View Post
    There is also a measure signed into law today that (with a few exceptions) no employer can restrict you from having a handgun locked in your car at work on your employers property. regardless of company policy or postings. However, this was just signed into law and I don't know about it until it has been tested in litigation when someones employer tries to challenge it.
    Actually, he signed that into law yesterday. (Along with some 20 other bills.) Good news for us! But to read the papers around here, you'd think that people had no idea this has been going on for years. My company (in the rule book) has always stated that no weapons are allowed in the employee parking lot. (Although they never enforced it.) It's not like I'm headed off do some some chores and/or shopping and ever told myself:

Self: - "Gee. I'd better not strap on before I leave for the; Gas Station, Wal-Mart, Post Office, Library and then work. I'd hate to break Company Rules and leave my loaded weapon locked in my car. I should just go un-armed."

But it's nice to know that as of July 1st, I can do it legally now. :)

-Wraith

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast