Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    Some people do that when they want to load one in the chamber and have a full magazine. It is easier unless that process results in an AD.

Where I have seen it done extensively is on mythbusters. They usual have their gun in a vise used for precision aiming, so using a magazine would be problematic and they only want one round in the gun at a time because they work downrange of the pistol so often.

There is a reason to load through the breech, I asked if it was a good idea.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    I have a question about the loading of an auto pistol.

I don't do this, I don't think it is a good idea to do this.

Is it unsafe to lock the slide back, put a round in the barrel and then let the slide come forward again? Is it unsafe to load a gun like that? My common sense tells me that it is a bad idea. I would like someone with more experience than me to weigh in on the issue however.

I use a Glock 27.
    Loading in this fashion could result in a chipped extractor. Always load from the magazine to prevent damage to the firearm. If you read the manual, nowhere in the manual does it tell you to load that way.

I've written Mythbusters many times on various issues. So far they continue to do as they please despite their action being unsafe or improper.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

In the "normal" loading cycle of a semi auto pistol the round is picked up from the magazine by the face of the slide with the rim of the case sliding under the extractor as it feeds into the barrel. This doesn't stress the extractor like putting a round in an empty chamber and then allowing the slide to close, forcing the extractor to "ride over" the case rim.
    I have seen extractors damaged using this procedure to load a pistol or a magazine fed rifle.
    It's always better to load from the magazine whenever possible since that's how the weapon is designed to operate.
    As for an AD, that's pretty unlikely unless you already have a pre-existing problem.

5. Going out on a limb here. Are there any current qualified TX instructors located in FL on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I've written Mythbusters many times on various issues. So far they continue to do as they please despite their action being unsafe or improper.

gf
    I have also written to Mythbusters and been ignored. It upsets them when you can tell them they are wrong and back it up with proof!

Here is my question, how meny mags should one carry in reseve when CC? Is it per the amount of rounds each mag holds?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyk00diver View Post
    Here is my question, how meny mags should one carry in reseve when CC? Is it per the amount of rounds each mag holds?
    This depends on skill really. However, I usually carry one extra, just in case. I make it a point to go to the range minimum once a month and recommend our students to do so (although I tend to go once a week).
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

9. Here is a broken extractor/loading from the top story. Front Sight Academy does some malfunction clearing drills in their classes where to set up a type 3 malfunction they instruct you to load a round from the top followed by inserting a loaded mag and than gently releasing the slide. Until I attended a four and two day Front Sight class I had never loaded from the top and during the second class, after the type 3 drill training, my extractor broke. This on a well maintained pistol that best guess has about 4000 rounds through it and has literally never had any type of malfunction. I will never really know if the broken extractor is a direct result of this drill but I would guess that it certainly contributed to it. Either way, things break so I am not going to give it much thought.

10. Is it legal to carry in a commercial vehicle? I have my Ohio and PA ccw

Quote Originally Posted by OCCI View Post
    This depends on skill really. However, I usually carry one extra, just in case. I make it a point to go to the range minimum once a month and recommend our students to do so (although I tend to go once a week).
    OCCI, Thank you very much for your help!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast