Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

I would like some advice please on how to aim while keeping both eyes open. When I try keeping both eyes open ,I se double everything. I am pretty sure I am right eye dominet. Any advice?

Really all it takes is practice. Start by sighting the firearm with your dominant eye as normal.
    Focus on ONLY the front sight.
    Open your other eye, while remaining focused on ONLY the front sight.

With practice you will no longer need to start by closing 1 eye.

In Ky. The requirements areset by the state, I add alot more details togive a much in-depth class

thank you. I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbiegun View Post
    I would like some advice please on how to aim while keeping both eyes open. When I try keeping both eyes open ,I se double everything. I am pretty sure I am right eye dominet. Any advice?
    It will also help to start close and work your way back to a greater distance. Focus on the front sight, the rear sight should be a blur, as another instructor said.

I try to have 3 sources of ammunition on me when I carry. The first source is obviously in the pistol. I keep a second full magazine in a belt pouch and the third in a front pocket or in my jacket pocket. Depends on the weather and how I am dressed.

The 3 sources was something taught to me by my father after he spent 25 years as an LEO. The mag in the pocket is last resort as it is pretty difficult to get to quickly.

I just got a double mag pouch :)
    Don't overcomplicate.... if you feel the need to conceal another magazine, conceal it in a BUG. Your fastest reload is your second gun. (Thanks to the Seargent I met on the range who gave me that advice)

Quote Originally Posted by JakeT View Post
    It will also help to start close and work your way back to a greater distance. Focus on the front sight, the rear sight should be a blur, as another instructor said.
    +1 ...that will improve your speed and accuracy, as well as helping to develop the skill. When I taught myself to do it I practiced it dry for hours, then took it to the range, started at 5 yrds, and kept going back. The range shouldn't BE your training it should VALIDATE your training/dry practice. If you always focus on the front sight and ONLY the front site you'll pick it up in no time.

10. My question is: I would like to go though some training or classes that are Firearm and Self-defence Instructor run. Are there any available qualifed instuctors in the local fayette County area that do this and are available?

Flanmedic51 Guest
    QUESTION:

Is there a true benefit in using +p ammunition, particularly in compact, short barreled pistols? I am curious about the Hornady TAP FPD 230gr +p ammo for my M&P .45c. As advertised it has a muzzle velocity of 950ft/sec from a 5" barrel. My M&P is a 4". So I'm basically looking for maximum expansion and effectiveness in my compact pistol without risking over penetration. Looking for a bit of guidance. Thanks in advance.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast