Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by OCCI View Post
    This depends on skill really. However, I usually carry one extra, just in case. I make it a point to go to the range minimum once a month and recommend our students to do so (although I tend to go once a week).
    At least one, simply because that is the component that is most likely to create a problem operating the gun. The spare gives you the ability to 'fix' most problems and stay in or get back into the fight.
    www.inshadowinlight.com
    I don't care as much about making you more "tactical" as I do about making you better able to be the one still standing after the fight is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbiegun View Post
    I would like some advice please on how to aim while keeping both eyes open. When I try keeping both eyes open ,I se double everything. I am pretty sure I am right eye dominet. Any advice?
    With both eyes open, put the gun into firing position. Now close the non-dominant eye. The gun that is left once you do that should be the 'right' one that you will actually sight through.

I have the same thing happen, in that I see a solid gun and a 'not-solid' gun when I raise it to firing position. I don't have a true dominant eye, either. What I find is that the 'inside' gun--oddly enough, the one I can see through--is the one I should sight with.

If you have not already, I would recommend classes about point shooting. PM me if you want me to point you to specific courses that will teach you that.
    www.inshadowinlight.com
    I don't care as much about making you more "tactical" as I do about making you better able to be the one still standing after the fight is over.

Questions about Ohio CCW instructor, advanced firearms, and range instructor courses

To be an Ohio CCW Instructor:

Should I take an advanced firearms shooting course, to teach CCW first?

I had 1911 training in the army back in 1984, but no LE training to speak of. I was told to take the advanced firearms course before taking the CCW Instructors class. Is this typical? Good advice? Or is this guy just trying to make alittle more money off of me?

Also, I will be qualifying my students at my home, which is where I will be teaching my classes. Will I need a range certification to do this? When would I want to have this certification? Thanks
    "Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well, I've come to give you either one. Or get either one from you." Josie Wales

I have always placed a full magazine in my weapon, "lock and load", removed the magazine and insert one more round.

Quote Originally Posted by ESD View Post
    To be an Ohio CCW Instructor:

Should I take an advanced firearms shooting course, to teach CCW first?
    I won't say that you have to do so, but I will say that it can't at all hurt. It also depends on what Ohio's state code and what your state rules are with regards to being an instructor. I had taken a Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class about a year prior to becoming an Arkansas CHL Instructor. I've gotten scheduled for one other in a month and have watched two DVD's on advanced firearms handling and use. The way I figure doing this helps is that it gives me some additional pointers to use for folks during the qualification portion of the class, if nothing else. It also gives me a secure reason to recommend further training after the students receive their CHL.
    I had 1911 training in the army back in 1984, but no LE training to speak of. I was told to take the advanced firearms course before taking the CCW Instructors class. Is this typical? Good advice? Or is this guy just trying to make alittle more money off of me?
    Could be a bit of both.
    Also, I will be qualifying my students at my home, which is where I will be teaching my classes. Will I need a range certification to do this? When would I want to have this certification? Thanks
    Arkansas requires that CHL Instructors be certified as Range Safety Officers and I won't pretend to know what Ohio requires. I'm now an NRA Certified RSO, which was a part of my CHL Instructor training course. I figure that it can't but help in credibility with the students.

Also, if you're going to have students handling firearms w/live ammunition at your home, I'd suggest looking in to additional insurance in case of a Negligent Discharge that hurts or kills someone. Just some food for thought. I know if I owned appropriate property and had a home-made range set up along those lines that I'd certainly look in to some sort of liability insurance.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

Does anyone on here know how to become certified to teach the Massachutetts firearms course? I am already a certified instructor.
    Thanks

Which firearm do you think would be better to conceal and carry for an amateur to novice carrier? The Ruger SR9C or a Glock 23?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Quam View Post
    Which firearm do you think would be better to conceal and carry for an amateur to novice carrier? The Ruger SR9C or a Glock 23?
    Which one do you shoot better and are more comfortable with?
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I havent had the pleasure of shooting either. I am carrying a Rossi M68 revolver 38 spl, but would like to purchase a semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Quam View Post
    I havent had the pleasure of shooting either. I am carrying a Rossi M68 revolver 38 spl, but would like to purchase a semi-auto.
    Both guns will do the job. Once you decide on a reliable firearm, you may want to find a way to shoot both pistols. Take note of your likes and dislikes of each. This will help you make your final selection. There are many carry methods available. Key part to deciding which pistol is best for you would be you having confidence in the selected firearm and ability to accurately fire the handgun.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast