Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

Please post any questions you have for our Registered and Featured Instructors to this thread.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I have a question for those instructors that are also LEO.
    Does your employer write the curriculum for the concealed carry permit class?
    If so, do they include material that seems to vary from the state laws as you would interpret them?
    I was talking to a person who had just taken a class from a LEO instructor. There discriptions of some of the emphasized instruction does not match our state law provided with our permits.

OK. I thought I might not get a response on this one. Officers may put thier jobs on the line if they go on record with facts that might embarace the chief.
    How about you NRA instructors. Does the NRA give you guidelines on what to teach in regards to the states law?
    Last edited by cc_ryder; 02-02-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: expansion

The NRA Basic Pistol curriculum does not include local firearm laws. Instructors may provide such information as a separate presentation prior to the start or after the conclusion of the NRA course. As MA State Police Certified Instructor, I am required to provide information on licensing, transportation, storage, etc. in order to issue the required MA certificate. I do this in an approximate 1 hour presentation prior to the start of the NRA Basic Pistol course.

The NRA Personal Protection courses do include information on laws governing the use of deadly force, but that segment is to be presented by an attorney or LEO.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by robmcd View Post
    The NRA Basic Pistol curriculum does not include local firearm laws. Instructors may provide such information as a separate presentation prior to the start or after the conclusion of the NRA course. As MA State Police Certified Instructor, I am required to provide information on licensing, transportation, storage, etc. in order to issue the required MA certificate. I do this in an approximate 1 hour presentation prior to the start of the NRA Basic Pistol course.

The NRA Personal Protection courses do include information on laws governing the use of deadly force, but that segment is to be presented by an attorney or LEO.
    Correct. NRA instructors are specifically told not to provide information on the law as part of the class. In PP classes we use an attorney to cover the laws pertaining to criminal possession of a firearm and justification of defense.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I have a question about the loading of an auto pistol.

I don't do this, I don't think it is a good idea to do this.

Is it unsafe to lock the slide back, put a round in the barrel and then let the slide come forward again? Is it unsafe to load a gun like that? My common sense tells me that it is a bad idea. I would like someone with more experience than me to weigh in on the issue however.

I use a Glock 27.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post

Is it unsafe to lock the slide back, put a round in the barrel and then let the slide come forward again? Is it unsafe to load a gun like that? My common sense tells me that it is a bad idea. I would like someone with more experience than me to weigh in on the issue however.

I use a Glock 27.
    I'm assuming you want one in the pipe and a full mag. I teach students to load the mag, rack it and then remove the mag and put another round in. There's no fast and secure rule on this but the manual for the G27 doesn't show loading directly to the breech as a common loading technique. Releasing the slide should not cause a discharge unless there is some problem with the gun. I have however heard of situations where a discharge has occurred.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I'm assuming you want one in the pipe and a full mag. I teach students to load the mag, rack it and then remove the mag and put another round in. There's no fast and secure rule on this but the manual for the G27 doesn't show loading directly to the breech as a common loading technique. Releasing the slide should not cause a discharge unless there is some problem with the gun. I have however heard of situations where a discharge has occurred.
    Yes, this is about what I expected. It doesn't seem like it would fire, but it also doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thank you for the reply!

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post

I use a Glock 27.
    Why would someone do that?

handgonnetoter Guest
    Why do some handguns leave a small "tail" on the primer where the firing pin strikes it?

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    Why would someone do that?
    Some people do that when they want to load one in the chamber and have a full magazine. It is easier unless that process results in an AD.

Where I have seen it done extensively is on mythbusters. They usual have their gun in a vise used for precision aiming, so using a magazine would be problematic and they only want one round in the gun at a time because they work downrange of the pistol so often.

There is a reason to load through the breech, I asked if it was a good idea.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast