Does being an NRA Training Counselor provide any additonal benefits?

Thread: Does being an NRA Training Counselor provide any additonal benefits?

Does being an NRA Training Counselor provide any additonal benefits?

This is more of a "Michigan specific" question as the issue was presented by an individual who is moving to MI, but I'm wondering it applies to any states.

The individual in question stated that under MI law, becoming appointed as a NRA Training Counselor will exempt you from the state statutes on the "gun free school zones". Sounded questionable to me, so I figure I put it out there and see if anyone else has any info on the subject for MI or ANY state, as I have not heard anything that would support this claim.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

It is not possible. I have read the MI laws as I live just a few miles from the border, and there is no such provision. Not to mention, it would technically provide a legal way to violate federal GFSZ laws. I think whoever it was is feeding you a line of crap.

Being an NRA training counselor is nothing more than an instructor certification of sorts. It allows you to train and certify instructors. It can be added to the list with Metallic Cartridge Re-Loading, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, and so on.

Here is a link to the applicable legislative laws provided by MI:
    Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425o

You can see very clearly that there is nothing at all about the NRA in them.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

I figured the guy was mistaken. Thanks for the info CalicoJack!.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

No problem, anything I can do to help.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

follow-up to my original question

Now that my original question has been answered, I did discover a benefit to being a NRA Training Counselor. Apparently NRA Training Counselors are allowed to become Regional Training Counselors for the Refuse To Be A Victim program through home validation. What better way to fast tract my ability to teach such a valuable course to many people who rather not use firearms or are unable to use firearms as a method of self defense.

gf

Widowerks Guest
    Hello;
    You can become an RTVAB Instructor by taking the online course from the NRA with an Instructor rating . Being a Regional Counselor is a GREAT deal of work to take on if you are not retired.
    The online coures takes about 2 weeks on the average and has a cost of around $250/275, only problem is that, it is hard to get registered ontime as the classes sell VERY fast.
    To become a TC you need to attend a seminar when one is avialable or be appointed, and here again it's dollars and lots of time.

The RTBAV cert should be provided to those certified for PPITH and PPOTH as the overlap of topics is significant.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Widowerks Guest
    The seperate certification is for more money to be used by the NRA. You are correct BC1. The greatest expense is the trainer who gets to pocket most of the $.