Care for a new gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Care for a new gun

The point is that you never know how clean or ready to fire a gun is whether it is new or used. A new gun could have gotten crap into it at any point after it left the factory, and there are some (like my USP compact) that even have grease in the bore. So your best bet is to give it a good and thorough cleaning before you fire it.

I mean for the 10 minutes it takes to clean a gun, is it worth the idea of having those kind of problems?
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

new XDM

There was little in the way of instructions that came with the manual for cleaning or breaking in my XDM 45.

The shop I bought it from said to lock back the slide and leave for 2-3 days to compress the spring a bit. Not sure if it helps or not. Can't hurt.

A friend has an XD 9mm that he said he's put 200,000 rounds through with the original barrel.

Cleaned and fired nicely.

I cleaned the assembly grease out of my Glock when I owned one, not sure how much gunk is in the M&P? It can't hurt to fieldstrip the gun and take a peek inside, also familiarizes you with the gun. My Springfield XD-9 sub was spotless inside, just a slight amount of light oil where it is needed. I took it out and shot the crap out of it......and yes the XD's are every bit as dependable as any Glock
    Ruger LCP and Springfield XD-9 subcompact

Quote Originally Posted by gregory44mag View Post
    You Glock owners are all the same... Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock. The Smith & Wesson M&Ps are a very good, easy to maintain gun, very accurate and dependable. Just follow the manufacturers instructions on cleaning and enjoy it.
    Yup, The Glock owners are definitely a cult. That being said my EDC is a G26, BUT I also love my M&P40, after M&P I doubt I'll but another Glock. The M&P's are great. WAY more comfortable in the hand, better looking. Just as reliable. Not to take away from the Glocks there also great guns. But M&P's are awesome. To get back to the thread if your not going to go to the range for a while you should clean your guns. You don't have to make it brand new again every cleaning but I wouldn't leave it for long. If your not going to shoot alot. And in the hot weather months stick with grease. IMO works better than oil.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory44mag View Post
    You Glock owners are all the same... Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock. The Smith & Wesson M&Ps are a very good, easy to maintain gun, very accurate and dependable. Just follow the manufacturers instructions on cleaning and enjoy it.
    Not all of us. I have a Glock 26 as my primary carry but also love my Ruger and my Beretta's. I don't discriminate. :-)

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I have always taught that you clean a firearm after each and every use no matter how many rounds you have fired at that session. Don't get into a habit or even try and get into a habit of only cleaning such and such a weapon after so many round's (2,000 - 5,000)If you clean it after every time you use it you won't have to worry about a round count.

Remember A CLEAN WEAPON IS A HAPPY WEAPON
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BulletTrainingLtd View Post
    Don't have a Glock, never had a Glock.
    Shame on you for not having a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    I have always taught that you clean a firearm after each and every use no matter how many rounds you have fired at that session. Don't get into a habit or even try and get into a habit of only cleaning such and such a weapon after so many round's (2,000 - 5,000)If you clean it after every time you use it you won't have to worry about a round count.

Remember A CLEAN WEAPON IS A HAPPY WEAPON
    Bill
    This is what I was taught, too.

I teach my students to clean their weapons as a way to become more aware of the machine in their hands. It's a tool that needs to be clean and lubed to work as designed.

Glocks, or any other new handguns should be cleaned before firing for the first time. Glocks come from the factory with a copper colored lubricant on the slide. This lube should not be removed; shooting the firearm will result in the lube probviding protection to the slide for 250 to 500 rounds. There is no need to clean the factory lube from the slide unless you firearm is exposed to dirt or sandy grit. Use a quality bore cleaner and clean until all residue is gone from the bore, run a dry patch through the bore, then a patch with one or two drops of oil applied, (never over oil or grease any firearm). There are many after market parts that make the already dependable Glock even more reliable, such as a stainless steel guide rod to replace the plastic factory guide rod.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12