Care for a new gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Care for a new gun

1. Care for a new gun

I just purchased a glock 17 9MM and a S&W M&P 45. I have not gone to the range yet, plan on going next weekend.

I am going to lube the slides on both guns before use. Is there anything else that I should do?

Is there a good instruction set somewhere on how to do a good job cleaning the guns after going to the firing range?

I also have a Hi Point 9MM that i will be using and will need to clean also.

I just got my concealed cary and plan to start carying. I want to be sure I care for the guns properly.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Johnrus

As far as the Glock... Take it out of the box and shoot the crap out of it. It comes with a gold color grease from the factory. I think they suggest shooting it around 500 times before cleaning it off..(I think)
    Its Better To Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It.

For your Glock you can clean the bore if you want to but it is good to go out of the Box and you can Shoot over 2,000 rounds before needing to clean it. Glocks preform good the only warning I was given at a class on taking apart your Glock beyond the field stripping level and how to clean it was to keep the factory parts that came with the gun and when cleaning the Glock avoid using to much oil. The instructor said that many of the Glocks that have trouble it is from either putting in after market parts or oiling the gun more then needed.

I have a Glock 19 3rd gen that I took to the class with me I had about 1500 rounds through it and was told that I didn't need to clean it due to it looking like it had hardly been used. Most of the ammo through my gun was WWB ammo so I don't know if that played apart in my gun not being that dirty. I also asked cause I had placed a Ghost 3.5# trigger in my Glock and was told that if that was the only thing that I changed beside the sights that my gun should be fine. I was told that if this was being used as a EDC the only thing I should change is the sights and to keep the gun as the factory made it to avoid any problems.

For your other gun I don't know due to never owning one. But any gun made of metal is a pain due to the amount of cleaning it requires to stay functional and looking nice.

Enough Already!!!

You Glock owners are all the same... Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock. The Smith & Wesson M&Ps are a very good, easy to maintain gun, very accurate and dependable. Just follow the manufacturers instructions on cleaning and enjoy it.

Don't have a Glock, never had a Glock. Just my .02, every gun I buy gets taken down and cleaned before it goes to the range. All part of familarization for me.

Thumbs up Glock

Quote Originally Posted by gregory44mag View Post
    You Glock owners are all the same... Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock.
    Glock

Quote Originally Posted by BulletTrainingLtd View Post
    Don't have a Glock, never had a Glock. Just my .02, every gun I buy gets taken down and cleaned before it goes to the range. All part of familarization for me.
    I second this a million times over. I teach students how to break down and clean their guns as a part of the course I teach for first time pistol shooters. I make sure that all guns are cleaned and lubed before I put a single round through them, and I encourage my students to do the same thing.

Though I must admit, I have been thinking about getting a glock just to see what I can do with it. Like make it into a race gun or something. I prefer my 1911's and USP's to anything out there on the market.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

Don't know about the guns you buy but both Glocks I bought had two shell casings in a brown envelope that were from rounds that had been fired through the gun I was buying. So for the factory to fire rounds through the gun they had to clean it and then clean it after firing the rounds through the gun. So me taking it home to clean it before using it just seems unnecessary to me. With the modifications made to the machinery used to produce guns today having to take apart and clean a new gun from the factory should not be necessary.

The guns are prepped, then test fired with several rounds, superficially wiped off, and put it the box that might sit on the distributor's or dealer's shelf for weeks until sold. They need to be field stripped, cleaned and properly lubed per the manufacturer's directions prior to the first range outing. The fired case that is included is for those states (i.e. NY) that require the dealer to submit it to law enforcement who keeps it on file.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Not always the case

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Don't know about the guns you buy but both Glocks I bought had two shell casings in a brown envelope that were from rounds that had been fired through the gun I was buying. So for the factory to fire rounds through the gun they had to clean it and then clean it after firing the rounds through the gun. So me taking it home to clean it before using it just seems unnecessary to me. With the modifications made to the machinery used to produce guns today having to take apart and clean a new gun from the factory should not be necessary.
    When I purchased My Colt 1911 Combat Commander it was very dirty, I would say from the machining process and I had a spent shell casing in a bag also? I gave this gun a good thorough cleaning before I even shot the first round through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast