becoming?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: becoming?

becoming?

Hello, former Marine corps close pistol combat instructor, wondering what all one has to do in order to be considered a civilian instructor? Been out for while and taught few friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Yup... Gonna commit to taking some NRA courses this year. Also have a trip to Front Sight in the planning stages...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Yup... Gonna commit to taking some NRA courses this year. Also have a trip to Front Sight in the planning stages...
    Please let us know how it goes.

I know this sounds too simple but first find out what is necessary to train CCW students in your state.
    Most states are similar but generally being certified by the NRA to teach Basic Pistol and having passed a state given CCW training class are the minimum requirements.
    Then get your insurance through the NRA program (cost around $300) and your ready to start teaching.
    Good luck and stay in touch with this forum as you proceed, no need to re-invent the wheel!
    Safety First Inc.
    Salisbury, N.C.

+1 dpeck
    and to add, once you get your feet wet, you may want to look into the NRA LEI option or something similar locally
    CERTIFIED NRA INSTRUCTOR:
    PISTOL | RIFLE | SHOTGUN | PERSONAL PROTECTION I/O

Quote Originally Posted by dpeck View Post
    i know this sounds too simple but first find out what is necessary to train ccw students in your state.
    Most states are similar but generally being certified by the nra to teach basic pistol and having passed a state given ccw training class are the minimum requirements.
    Then get your insurance through the nra program (cost around $300) and your ready to start teaching.
    Good luck and stay in touch with this forum as you proceed, no need to re-invent the wheel!
    Safety first inc.
    Salisbury, n.c.
    qft

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Since the state of Illinois does not have concealed carry your best bet is to take the NRA Instructor courses. Next, since many residents of Ill. are applying for out-of-state permits, find out what the individual state's training requirements (Florida, Arizona, etc.) are and set up your classes accordingly.

You might also look into hooking up with a local range to offer NRA First Steps classes to new firearm owners.

Best of luck to ya.

Just keep learning - get the cert since some place only consider that as a cred but otherwise watch the videos, take the classes and ask a lot of questions - and keep safe. Hell as a vet myself I know you already have most of the skills but you can never geet too trained.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

+1 on the NRA insurance. I would also suggest checking with your local insurance providers to see about adding additional coverage - the NRA program may only help you if you are teaching from an NRA curriculum at the time of the claim event.

Also, it is becoming very easy to get a business license and incorporate - although every state is different. This helps with liability and with claiming the tax expense of gear and ammo and other qualified purchases.

Welcome to the community and good luck!
    Cheers,
    Joe Short
    First Defense, LLC (Culpeper, Virginia)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast