Had to Remove a Student Today - Opinions Sought - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Had to Remove a Student Today - Opinions Sought

1. You might want the students who witnessed this guy to document what they saw. File those witness statements somewhere in case this guy does something stupid and tries to blame your training.

I agree on the too many chances but otherwise feel that you were right on. Wonder what he was looking for when he kept looking down the barrel - Obama??
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

You absolutely did the right thing. I just finished my NRA Pistol certification last weekend (waiting for my certificates from NRA).
    Classroom management in technical training (Microsoft instructor here, also) can be challenging. However when firearms and safety are involved, it is not just a challenge it's a life threatening situation. I think I would have been less tolerant, one strike and your out!
    Refund was a nice touch, easier to do that than prolong the situation - I'd also talk to the issuing authorities.

Had a buddy of mine take his CCW course with his wife recently and while in class some lady pulls a .357 out of her bag then pulls the hammer back!! The instructor and the guy next to her reacted quick and yanked the gun from her and gave her a good talkin to. I would have kicked her out but thats just me. Some people dont need to be around weapons because they are just not mature enough to handle the responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by tlglenn View Post
    You might want the students who witnessed this guy to document what they saw. File those witness statements somewhere in case this guy does something stupid and tries to blame your training.
    I had four instructors on the firing line. More than enough witnesses. One, being a police instructor could have arrested him under 120.20 of the NY Penal Law. If he were to make a stink I would notify his licensing officer and he can kiss his CCW goodbye. He was warned of this on his way out.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Had a buddy of mine take his CCW course with his wife recently and while in class some lady pulls a .357 out of her bag then pulls the hammer back!! The instructor and the guy next to her reacted quick and yanked the gun from her and gave her a good talkin to. I would have kicked her out but thats just me. Some people dont need to be around weapons because they are just not mature enough to handle the responsibility.
    So you would have kicked her out before she had a chance to learn the correct things to do. There is a big difference between being ignorant and an idiot. Unlike you I would not brand her an idiot before getting her to prove she it not just ignorant. You throw he out immediately then she will remain either an idiot or ignorant forever and being able to carry a gun around in that state. It amazes me the number of people who are supposedly teachers but expect the students to know everything before they get to class. I had a basketball coach like that one time that would jump all over the players for not knowing the basics and never bothered to teach them. He didn't last very long as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    So you would have kicked her out before she had a chance to learn the correct things to do. There is a big difference between being ignorant and an idiot. Unlike you I would not brand her an idiot before getting her to prove she it not just ignorant. You throw he out immediately then she will remain either an idiot or ignorant forever and being able to carry a gun around in that state. It amazes me the number of people who are supposedly teachers but expect the students to know everything before they get to class. I had a basketball coach like that one time that would jump all over the players for not knowing the basics and never bothered to teach them. He didn't last very long as a coach.
    YES I would have!! I would have had her take another course before her CCW class for safe gun handling skills. It's exactly like college. You need prerequisites before you can take certain courses for this very reason. Everyone will be on the same page and will have the same mind set for the next lesson. In this case she should take the hunter safety program first. This teaches us the basics of handling firearms. After one has mastered that then move on to the next thing. I fault some on the instructors though. They should have said dont uncase your firearm until you are instructed to do so.

Widowerks Guest
    How did this student get his cert before live fire exercise?
    I do not issue certs until course is completed. Requirement for ppoth is having already completed succesfully basic pistol. You should have resinded with no refund sooner!
    bill Weaver

10. If I was an instructor, I would have done the same with someone like that.

I took a handgun course last month and messed up, sweeping one of the instructors with my gun as I turned to pick up my empty magazines. I understand that people sometimes slip up. But I realized my mistake, corrected it, and took the (justified) reprimand from him like a man.

Also, when I took my G class there was a woman who had failed the range portion the first time and was retaking it. She was complaining because the instructor "yelled" at her because she was holding up the class taking a zillion years to load a magazine. She said that she couldn't go any faster because she had long nails. I was thinking "You don't wear nails to the gun range!" but I said "Aww, really?" She was kinda hot, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Widowerks View Post
    How did this student get his cert before live fire exercise?
    I do not issue certs until course is completed. Requirement for ppoth is having already completed succesfully basic pistol. You should have resinded with no refund sooner!
    bill Weaver
    I had students that didn't want the advanced part of the PPOTH class. Very strange. They took the basic (classroom) course, wanted the certificate of completion for basic but couldn't attend the second day for advanced. So they don't earn that certificate. Since the class wasn't very large I issued the basic certs on Saturday for everyone and the advanced certs on Sunday after the advanced shooting exercises. All except "Curley." He got the boot.

Bill, have you noticed that a significant number of students who have taken Basic Pistol and PPITH, even those with experience, don't handle the advanced part of PPOTH well? Unless I know the student I now pre-certify everyone an hour before basic PPOTH starts. I personally think the basic course should have a shooting section that works the draw stroke without moving. The advanced course should resume with a classroom section on moving and shooting and then directly to the range for those exercises. Just my opinion. Many good target shooters fall apart when they have to move.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast