Had to Remove a Student Today - Opinions Sought - Page 7
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Had to Remove a Student Today - Opinions Sought

1. I took my 3 boys to the range last week, ages 17, 16 and 11... Not one safety problem and we had 5 pistols and 2 rifles with us. The hardest part was getting them to help me clean them after we werre through. Seems they had better things to do :-). We're going back this weekend to break in 3 new guns and they are excited. This time there is a condition to their enjoyment... They have to help clean them afterwards.

I guess the key here is to find a way to test everyone before these classes to see if they are teachable. If they are not willing to submit to the classroom authority on ALL points, they shouldn't be allowed to even attend the class.

Being a military firearms instructor(not licensed in the civilian world) I have seen natural selection try to occur more than once. If he were one of my students he would be doing push ups until his arms fell off all the while reciting the four universal weapons safety rules. But I do have to say I think you handled it very professionaly. Personally I dont think you should have refunded his money since he took up a seat and attended some portion of the class, but it goes to show there are still responsible and kind people left in this crazy world.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bwoods1978 View Post
    Personally, I would have removed him after the first time I caught him looking down a barrel of a loaded firearm.
    I think personally you handled it very professionaly and lived up to the NRA ethics of conduct in every possible way.

-Brian
    I think you did an admirable job handling this situation. Like Brian though, I would have removed him a lot sooner. One warning is enough when it comes to gun safety. Especially when looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

My first thought is that the situation was being videotaped by another student, maybe, and not for you to use as a TV ad. Unfortunately, any video that may exist can still be edited to only portray your instructors in a bad light.

6. I would have suggested that, while looking down the barrel, he pull the trigger to show us how what he is doing is "safe". (Well, that is what I would be thinking while kicking him out ASAP)

7. It's too bad you don't have a video tape of that guy. A little editing (to save time) and you would have had a great pre-class video to show new students. A video like that could prevent further problems from similar future students.

If I'm not mistaken, when our local sherrif dept has there handgun permit classes they do video tape, at least the range time, at the time my instuctor told us out of 600+ students so far that year they only had to fail one lady, he said this women had absolutly no buissness around a weapon of any kind, he also said when she was trying to qualify about the only thing safe from being hit was the target

Quote Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
    My first thought is that the situation was being videotaped by another student, maybe, and not for you to use as a TV ad. Unfortunately, any video that may exist can still be edited to only portray your instructors in a bad light.
    No student video, cameras or cell phones are allowed on the range. I won't allow anyone to videotape. This provision is included in the agreement students must sign prior to attending.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I honesty believe you have the patience of a saint. Think it would have taken me one millisecond to snap after he showed total disregard for mine and my class' safety. But then again, who am I to interfere with natural selection. Maybe it is his destiny to wind up with a hole in his head. I have absolutely no patience for ignorance. Just thinking about that whole ordeal you went through makes me blazing mad.

Mental health issues

IDK maybe look into some sort of mental health quick test. Greys depression index or something. Sounds like a cry for help. You guys did the right thing by expelling him.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast