How Do I get the state of FL to understand? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I get the state of FL to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by bwoods1978 View Post
    Yes, actually NRA certified, but I wanted my organazation to be recognized as a certifiable institution. Which is no small feet I definatley understand but I have the curriculum, videos everything designed by me and the expirience to back it. Just getting them to understandt hat lol

I'm confused....If you are an NRA instructor...then your classes already qualify under paragraph 3.

Completion of any firearms or safety course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Doesn't say it has to be NRA classes...just any class given by an NRA certified instructor. So if all of your instructors are NRA certified you're already covered.

Can you imagination what the paragraph would look like if they started to change it every couple of months to add more and more training organizations?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I'm confused....If you are an NRA instructor...then your classes already qualify under paragraph 3.

Completion of any firearms or safety course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Doesn't say it has to be NRA classes...just any class given by an NRA certified instructor. So if all of your instructors are NRA certified you're already covered.

Can you imagination what the paragraph would look like if they started to change it every couple of months to add more and more training organizations?
    That is my understanding. You won't get the wording changed as to the list of certifing agencies without paying more than it would be worth.

Why not teach NRA Basic Pistol? It's accepted for a non-resident permit. Is there a different training requirement for residents?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The relevant portion of the statute seems to be this:

Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a ... firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by ... the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

So how does one become an "instructor certified by...the Department of Agriculture"?
    To be certified by the Department of Agriculture one must get a class "K" firearms instructors license. This license is the only one accepted to teach firearms training for contract Security.

493.6105 Initial application for license.

(6) In addition to the requirements outlined in subsection (3), an applicant for a Class "G" license shall satisfy minimum training criteria for firearms established by rule of the department, which training criteria shall include, but is not limited to, 28 hours of range and classroom training taught and administered by a Class "K" licensee; however, no more than 8 hours of such training shall consist of range training. If the applicant can show proof that he or she is an active law enforcement officer currently certified under the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission or has completed the training required for that certification within the last 12 months, or if the applicant submits one of the certificates specified in paragraph (7)(a), the department may waive the foregoing firearms training requirement.

(7) In addition to the requirements under subsection (3), an applicant for a Class "K" license shall:

(a) Submit one of the following certificates:

1. The Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission Firearms Instructor's Certificate.

2. The National Rifle Association Police Firearms Instructor's Certificate.

3. The National Rifle Association Security Firearms Instructor's Certificate.

4. A Firearms Instructor's Certificate from a federal, state, county, or municipal police academy in this state recognized as such by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission or by the Department of Education.

(b) Pay the fee for and pass an examination administered by the department which shall be based upon, but is not necessarily limited to, a firearms instruction manual provided by the department.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I would try the direct approach. Go to your buisiness licensing department and ask to apply for a firearms instruction school. If you have the business license and NRA certified instructors, you are good.

If you are not recognized by the legislature as a credible association/group/union/etc., you will be spinning your wheels forever, contact some politicians and sell them on your program. fastest way thru red tape. Good luck!
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

I agree with the above, you are fine if you are a certified NRA instructor. I think I know what you are trying to do here but that may be more hassle in the long run just advertise and teach.

Being NRA Certified is NOT going to get him automatic approval to teach INSTRUCTORS using HIS curriculum.

I noticed in section number 7 being "state certified" instructor it leaves it open to ANY STATE certified instructor.

It may be viable to find another state where the legislation is much more open to having YOUR curriculum accepted to qualifying instructors under State Certification and then you can PROVE that your Instructors are students who are State Certified from that particular state which would then be accepted in FL.

The classic and fastest alternative (one that I am contemplating) is to require all your instructors have NRA Basic Pistol so that there is no issue to begin with and the fact that SHERIFFS will have less issues verifying credentials when needed.

...then once they have qualified under NRA BPI standards you can at least be sure your going to be working with somewhat competent Instructors who are ready to be MOLDED into your particular curriculum vitae.

If you get them when they first become NRA BPI it will be easier to get them to the standards of your curriculum as they again are primarily getting the NRA certification to make it easier for Sheriff Credential Verification and meeting FL Instructor Standards.

Your course therefore becomes supplemental and what you want them to teach in lieu of the NRA curriculum.

Its a great way to get the job done because again you eliminate working with students who are not even competent to pass the NRA BPI course thus increasing productive teaching and also they can easily get Insurance coverage as well to cover their asses when Instructing.

The Insurance part is another key component outside of Sheriff Verifications and FL Standards being met that having them get the NRA BPI as a prerequisite to your course justifies.

It will also have a more distinct viewpoint that "once you get NRA BPI" certification THEN you can undergo "your" academies specific "XYS Instructor Course" and teach your curriculum.

You may even end up eliminating some of the replicating portions that may have been covered by NRA BPI so you can focus more time on live fire proficiency along with instructor skill sets.

Just a thought.

Damn...I think I just convinced myself to go ahead with this particular "course of action" as it really is going to be less hassle to do in ANY STATE and again eliminate ahead of time working with those who are not suited to Instruct.

Why not let the NRA weed out the first couple of layers of low potential instructors so that you better the chances of having instructors who are prepared to maintain the integrity of your school.

Bwoods...get in touch by email sometime!

11. My first thought was using NRA qualified instructors might set up a revolving door of your instructors opening their own schools. So, how did things end up? Are you up and running? Where are you located?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast