How to sight with bifocals - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to sight with bifocals

CT LaserGrips would be a good idea for in-home PP. Since you can't see the sights and target without your glasses and considering you may not have time to get them, just use the little red dot.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

In my opinion lasers are not the way to go. It wasn't a horrible idea and I am not putting down anyone's theories, especially trying to help someone, not at all, but to me this is masking the problem instead of solving it. Plus if you can't see the sights, finding a little red dot 6-10 feet away may be hard especially in daylight, plus it makes you a target at night. LOL, we just had a huge debate about this in the other forum and I will admit, because I said I would, lasers have SOME uses, just not for this situation in my mind. I am just not a big fan of them. I also don't recommend point shooting, definatley a good thing to learn and practice but I wouldn't use it as a replacement for this problem because you have to stray away and adjust from your standard tactics to do it, plus its not the most consistant way to shoot. In a fight or flight situation you want to revert to training that you have been consitantly doing over the years because muscle memory will make you do it anyways. My school has had this issue with some students and our research has proved 2 methods to be the most reliable.

1. You could learn to do whats called "Front Sight Focusing" Your brain can't focus on three things at once and if you wear those types of glasses I couldn't even imagine, so you focus on the front sight, this tells your brain to adjust your eyes to distance which makes things alot more clear. You can learn this method and there are tons of materials on the internet and youtube about it. George Harris of the SigArms Academy either developed the method or was one of the first to use it and it has became very popular.

2. The second option that I prefer, is changing your sights. There is a company called Sure Sight and they have came up with a set of sights that work like this; instead of aiming through the back sight to the front you just put a triangle together using the two sights. Your rear sight is the bottom half of the triangle and your front sight is the top. Make it a triangle and there you go. Your brain naturally recognizes and automatically puts shapes together and is actually faster than aim down a standard set of sights having good vision. I prefer this method, because you can still use your standard method of firearms training and not having to adjust for your particular problem. The company website is: SureSight you can go there to see exactly what I am talking about. During testing I bought a set of them myself and I absolutely love them. Its VERY easy to transition and you will be back in the game in no time, plus they are a cheap alternative to anything else.

Our association was founded to find & test the latest tactics and training tools avaiable. I hope this helps you and if you need anymore help please feel to contact me via here or my email.

-Brian Woods

Learn to do instinct shooting and get a set of Crimson Trace grip's and practice with the grips both turned on and off untill you are comfortable with them. I would learn the tripple tap method in close up combat shooting - 2 two to the chest and one to the head. I do not use the laser grips for up close shooting or sights. If you take the time to line up sight's you are most likely already dead and just don't know it yet.
    Bill

I wear progressives and have learned to use the front sight and concentrate on the target downrange. If you are closing your eye on the weak side and sighting down the gun with your strong arm side eye, try keeping both eyes open. Tilting the head might help get the sweet spot of your glasses and eye's in the right position as well.

Hi folks,
    I see a need for the method I teach my students to get here sooner:-) I have planned an article on RAPID FIRE SHOOTING! How it is propery done and and the way to train yourself to build the Muscle Memory so you can control your group...in the dark! Believe it cause it is true. You don't need the sights at certain distances to hit your target. At other distances you need a bit more, but not to align the sights. Sound too confusing? Give me a week or so and I'll have it out for all to try. Sorry but my time is take up by family, job, training and instruction :-(. Plus I have to check out the range every so often :-)
    I'll get it in the article section.
    Scott Vaughn
    Scott Vaughn
    AR CHCL Instructor #02-414 www.vftar.com
    Suarez International Staff Instructor www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

I had the same trouble until I started carrying a Glock 19 with a Red Dot. I conceal without trouble and I'm armed 24/7. Check out at Gabe place warriortalk.com the section on red dots. In my 60s I now hit things that would have been hard to hit if I had the eyes I did at 20

Smile My Experiences

I recently conducted an NRA Pistol Class and had an older gentleman (about 66) on the firing line for the shooting portion of the class. In his remarks to me before the range portion, he told me that he considered himself a fairly good marksman and that he anticipated no problem doing well in the shooting portion of the class.

However, when it came time to actually shoot, he had great difficulty hitting a paper plate at 5 yards (15 feet) and was very frustrated. He could not understand what he was doing wrong. I shot his handgun and this made him all the more frustrated when he observed my 1-1/2 inch grouping. Then I tried switching him from his Springfield XD-9 to a Glock 19 thinking he might see the sights better. No improvement.

I stood behind him along his line of sight and observed his technique using a "ball and dummy" load (some snap caps mixed with live ammo). He showed good hold control and good trigger control. And I observed all his shots hitting low, but generally on center if they had hit the paper plate.

I noted that he wore glasses and asked him when the last time his eyes were checked. He told me it was 2 weeks before and that he was just 3 days into wearing his new "progressive lenses". He had previously worn bifocals.

I explained that the angle that he used to view the front sight was likely distorting it and advised him to progressively raise his point of vision with each shot taken until he found the "sweet spot". Then to go beyond that to confirm that he had indeed found the "sweet spot". He performed this exercise, found the "sweet spot" for shooting, and gave me a 4 inch group. I then advised him to practice often until sighting from the "sweet spot" became engrained into his memory.

I am not saying that this will work for everyone. Some may need to consult with an eye healthcare professional. But, this is my real time experience with this problem and how it was solved.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, PPIH, RSO
    Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Intructor
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, & Florida

9. Quote Originally Posted by joemendoza View Post
    New pistol shooter -- and darned if I can get the sights properly in focus. If I'm wearing my reading glasses, no problem -- but how often will that happen in a self-defense situation? Hardly ever.

If I am wearing bifocals I could tilt my head up, but that is really unnatural and unreliable.

If I have no glasses on (burglar in the middle of the night). then it's nearly impossible. (I don't have terrible distance vision, but the near vision is shot) When I practice I find myself doing all kinds of head, eye, shooting position contortions, none of which makes for a smooth efficient sight and shot.

So, you instructors, how do you get guys like me to get a good focus?

I'm about to just say I need to get a laser ...
    Wow! What a great question. It was also a great question because it has caused me to re-examine my own marksmanship and just why within the last few years as to why my talents with certain firearms are greatly diminished and with others unaffected. I am going to have my eyes re-examined again and discuss the various options such as tri/bi/polarized focals, lasix, etc. and try experimenting with different lenses and reading glasses. A lot of possibilities now! Thanks!

10. This is REALLY critical information, considering all of us aging boomers and the swelling ranks of concealed carriers. Is there some way we can turn this into a faq or sticky? In fact, I don't think we have a FAQ article. It would also be a great place for all those "CCW badge" questions.

11. Smile sighting is for compitition or target shooting.

When I first became a LEO my "old timer" (and he was really old and had been walking a beat for many years)took me out to the city cooperation yards by the levee. He set up a 4 X 4 post 6 ft. tall on a wheel and then taught me to shoot in a combat situation. I had to stand in many different postures and quickly point my index finger of my dominate hand to the post. When he could see that I always pointed at the post then I drew and pointed my unloaded 38 at the post. When he could see that I was always pointing at the post then we loaded the revolver. Then it was draw and fire two rounds each time at the post. When I could consistently hit the post then we consentrated on bringing the shots to the vital area and the head. Two rounds each time, drawing and pointing and fireing, not sighting. I became very proficient and could draw and fire at anything I looked at and hit it everytime just as if in a combat situation. In fact when I was involved in a combat situations there was no sighting, no thinking but simply drawing and fireing and unconsiously knowing how many rounds I had fired.
    In a combat situation you don't have time to do any fancy sighting, nor adjusting bifocals or trifocal or even looking at your gun. Just protect your life. Learn to point and shoot and live.
    Now the experts will disagree with me but I'm still alive after many big city and back country confrontations.
    Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast