Dominant Eye Sighting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominant Eye Sighting

Dominant Eye Sighting

Am I correct in assuming that sighting with my dominant eye is correct? I recently realized that I am right-handed but left eye dominant.

3. A fail safe way to determine your dominant eye is to take both hands and make a triangle (have your pointer fingers touch each other and also your thumbs) Extend your arms outwards and then slowly pull your hands to your face while staring into the middle of the triangle with both eyes open. . Your hands will come to your dominant eye automatically.

Hope this helps.

-Chris
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
    Police Officer, NYPD 5 years

I am also left eye dominate but right handed with a pistol. As for shotty & rifles, I shoot lefty....go figure.
    NRA Life Member

"Why do the blind lead the seeing?"

Good Article in this months American Rifleman (MAY2011 Issue) concerning this. I used to be right eye dominate but over the years with my eye sight degenerating some. I guess it's switched. Don't really use sights at the 3/5/7 Yrd. Draw and shoot basically from the hip, intuitive aiming, always hitting DCM. First round low right 1-2 inches, second round dead center. That's just the way I do it.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

6. I'm also left eye dominate, right handed. It has never made a difference for me shooting wise, except for archery. I have to use a peep sight on a bow to stay lined up.

I shoot pistol and shotgun with both eyes open. Anything with a scope, I usually close my left eye.

I have not tried it yet but I guess my real question is if I sight with my left eye, which is dominant(I am right-handed), will I notice a difference in shot placement as opposed to sighting with my right eye? Leave aside any comments about point/shoot with both eyes open.

Learn to shoot with either hand, either eye, cross dominant eyes/hands and with both eyes open. For PP reasons, you must be able to respond to an attacker if you're injured so these capabilities are a must. When shooting in a PP situation, closing one eye is not a good idea. It destroys your peripheral view of the surrounding area. Bad guys hunt in packs. The one who confronts you may not be the one who will inflict the fatal attack. He may be approaching from the blind peripheral side.

When aiming with standard sights our hands and gun block the attackers body. Bad deeds come from hands and they're hidden by our own gun. And it's especially bad when one eye is closed. I prefer a laser sight on a PP gun. It allows me to maintain a clear line of vision by lowering the gun a few inches and keeping my peripheral view clear. Besides, that little red dancin' dot can be a deterrent the primary attacker's advance when checking your 3:00, 9:00 and 6:00.

Practice range exercises using both dominant and weak eyes. Eventually the weak eye will be just as accurate.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

9. I am right hand/left eye. I shoot pool, rifles and shotguns left handed. Never hand a problem until I tried correcting proper handgun stance and grip. I pull down on my left elbow a little and it helps line up the sights. Reminds me to do if I have problem hitting zero on target.

It is actually surprising how many right-handed students end up being left-eyed dominant. We have new shooters explore shooting right or left handed, while sighting using the right or left eye. Most typically shoot right-handed and use their left eye to sight in - it feels a bit cumbersome at first, but most take to it immediately.

Experienced shooters taking advanced classes should consider taking BC1's advice above and become competent with both sides - you never know when your 'weak' side will have a battlefield commission to become the dominant side...
    Cheers,
    Joe Short
    First Defense, LLC (Culpeper, Virginia)

I am also cross dominate. I don't find it effects accuracy at all.
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast